The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will update this thread as I go along, enjoy!

UPDATE: DE-RIMMING IT! pics attached!

This is what it looks like today: (updated Aug 30th)
<this image will be updated every so often>

30 Gallon with dimensions of 25x25x12
Today:

My only regret with this tank:
I wish I had dropped another 50$ to get this tank rimless (no longer the case!)
<this list will grow over time, Im sure>

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIY STAND
Approximate cost 40ish, primary source: Home Depot
What I own: a Drill!! wood was cut at HD, bought a drill bit for the screws, found some gorilla glue for wood! and thats about it!

used this site: http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
for planning, however I altered a bit and used 2x4s

NOTE: 2x4 ARE NOT 2x4, they actually measure 1.5x3.5!!!!! Keep that in mind while planning

So this is the plank for the base, see later image

used these screws 5 inches so that I could join a 2x4 to a 2x4, on the long arm, see later image

3 inch, for the small arm, see later image

drill bit

water proofing spray, about 3$

drying away

the basic construct

short - hence the 3 inch screw

This is where you I need the 5 inch screw, since the three inch screw would only just make it into the horizontal 2x4

good old gorilla wood glue

making sure its level!

the plank I showed you earlier x 2

finally done!

El-cheapo stand! time to build (one person only) - 2 hours ish

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rim is easily removed, even while the tank is running
I was thinking about that, but I am afraid of:
- might crack the tank!
- sharp unsightly edges of the glass (non finished??)
- spoke with the tank builder, they confirm that the rim doesnt play any role in structurally
- plus its only 12 inch high, and bottom rim is hidden by my stand

- I own a dremel, Don't know if I should do it!!!

(no water in tank as of right now)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I was thinking about that, but I am afraid of:
- might crack the tank!
- sharp unsightly edges of the glass (non finished??)
- spoke with the tank builder, they confirm that the rim doesnt play any role in structurally
- plus its only 12 inch high, and bottom rim is hidden by my stand

- I own a dremel, Don't know if I should do it!!!

(no water in tank as of right now)
At 12" you can remove the rim without any dangers. The edges will be smoothed, the manufacturer does not want industrial injury claims.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I derimmed my 20 long while it was in action, luckily my edges were decent, none are sharp or ugly, but not sure how yours would be, however sealing the inside to make sure nothing falls in is easy when you sand it down, should you have to. its easy and it is fun, the trick is going slow for your first one, my first derimming i took an hour, now with confidence it takes about 5-10 minutes for the top rim of a 40 breeder and about 15-30 for the bottom.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

got the siding cut also at HD, cost: an additional 18$

planing the glue

added another 2x4 in the middle, overkill, the tank has a rim, so all the weight is on the corners, the middles doesnt even touch!

ran out of heavy object haha!

2 sides done!

screwed up, this is my access panel, but I notived a 2x4 smack middle, cant remove co2 tank/filter in n out!!! so used a different side. measure twice, cut once/glue once

driftwood!!!!!!!!!!!!! want emersed plants growing out of the tank, like a palaudrium (?)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking good
Thanks!

any suggestions guys on plants? fish stock?

Plants
Was thinking: HC in the front (who didnt see that coming), Pogo Helferi, Anubias nana on parts of the drift wood, some kind of moss on the rest of it...... not sure what kind or a fissiden (true that it takes forever to grow?)

Not sure about the back corners

Fish
Would love to have baby discus and cardinals... but alas this tank is too small :(

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Nice stand and interesting tank! I am all for 2 hour 2x4 stands. I just unfortunately can't make them look good. Looking foreward to you progress.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol 2x4s haven't been true 2x4s since like WWII or something like that. You're a bit late. Lol
yup thats what I was told at HD, they said the last time they were true 2x4s were in the 1920s!!!!

They should have a warning about that! WARNING 2x4 doesnt actually measure 2x4 lol..... I wasnt around in the 1920s when they made the switch!!! lol this is btw my first time working with 2x4s, heck first time working withwood

·
Registered
575 Posts
lol this is btw my first time working with 2x4s, heck first time working withwood
impressive first project. Hopefully not the last, it's a sickness :)
added another 2x4 in the middle, overkill, the tank has a rim, so all the weight is on the corners, the middles doesnt even touch!
But it makes you feel better having it, doesn't it? Every stand I have ever built cost me twice as much as it should have in material, but I sleep better knowing how overbuilt they are. Eventually the urge to built a strong stand with the least amount of material will hit me, but as long as 2x4's are as cheap as they are, I'm quite happy to use more than my share

1 - 20 of 131 Posts