The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just set up my shallow 24x24x7 18 gallon rimless starphire tank.
I was just hoping for some advice to assure that my tank prospers...
Currently I have
-Tahitian moon sand mixed with Activ Flora... Mostly sand though.
-A light fixture that has two t5 High Output 24w(6,700k bulb and a pink color max one), one 150w metal halide, and two tiny led lunar lights.
-For filtration I'm running a rena filstar XP1, I have the spray bar aimed at the glass to decrease the current.
-For CO2 I'm running the fluval 88g kit with a glass diffusor at 2 bbs

I'm currently trying to carpet Dwarf Baby Tears (HC) throughout the right side, and in between the rocks of the tank.
I also have a small section with glosso that I'm trying to carpet as well.
In the back of some of the rocks I have some stringy grass looking plant, not quite sure what it is.

here's a picture.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm253/Codys2/ph2oto.jpg
Please help me out with suggestions, advice, or anything!

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Love the footprint of the tank. Your light seems a little high though. 150W metal halide and 2x 24W T5HO? Plus it's right over the top.

I'd suggest you try to find a fixture you can hang over the top because with a nice surface area like that, you don't want a bulky light to cover it up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, so a hanging kit and cutting up the HC more.

Got it!... although the HC just kinda got settled and rooted in. I'm not sure if I should disturb it or not?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I really wanted to make it into a small reef thank, but it's all extremely new. I got the tank new, custom made, unused on April 4 from some dude off craigslist because there was a manufacture issue with the height of the tank. The light fixture I had bought used from a local reefer. However, I changed the bulbs and am going to try to use it for this tank. I messed around with calculations for balancing the co2, light, and ferts out so I'll just have to play around with that until I get it right.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hi PlantedNewt,

+1 on the comment to raise the fixture, otherwise it might become an algae farm. A PAR meter would help you determine how high above the tank for placement. SCAPE is a local planted aquarium club in your area and they have a PAR meter for members to use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm extremely new to this whole planted tank thing, so if you don't mind me asking, what's a PAR meter?... and does hanging equipment vary dependent on the fixture itself? Or are their universal options that can work for any fixture?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I think I'm going to put a white sand bed in between the glosso and the HC...
and maybe add more background plants. Some 3~4inch grass maybe. Would that look good!?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's an awesome tank. I would hold off on the sand. I think a full carpet would look way nicer, but that's just my 2c. Besides, if you aren't really careful, the substrates will mix and it ends up looking like a polluted beach.

Pull up a corner of the HC clump and clip that off to plant. You don't need to uproot the entire clump. Whatever you may believe, what kiran said about splitting is the absolute truth. It seriously works.

A PAR meter is a means of measuring how conducive to plant growth a particular lighting source is. I forgot what it stands for, really. I'm sure someone else will answer that.

what are you dosing btw?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome tank! I love the large foot print. I agree with lifting the light and getting something cooler then guppies! Get yourself a pair of a smaller cichlids or do red crystal shrimp and some nice tetras.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's an awesome tank. I would hold off on the sand. I think a full carpet would look way nicer, but that's just my 2c. Besides, if you aren't really careful, the substrates will mix and it ends up looking like a polluted beach.

Pull up a corner of the HC clump and clip that off to plant. You don't need to uproot the entire clump. Whatever you may believe, what kiran said about splitting is the absolute truth. It seriously works.

A PAR meter is a means of measuring how conducive to plant growth a particular lighting source is. I forgot what it stands for, really. I'm sure someone else will answer that.

what are you dosing btw?
Thanks! I guess I'll take your guys advice on the splitting the HC up more, however I've cut it up into pretty small clumps, it's just grown already.
... As of right now I'm just dosing flourish... I would like advice on what else to dose

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome tank! I love the large foot print. I agree with lifting the light and getting something cooler then guppies! Get yourself a pair of a smaller cichlids or do red crystal shrimp and some nice tetras.
Cichlids? I don't know if that's a good idea for a planted tank?
Ooo but I do have a ton of cherry shrimp that are breeding like mad.

As for the guppies, they're temporary, I was just using them to kinda cycle my tank, but I'm finished with that and I have the bacteria all in check.

I have 5 otos, the cherry shrimp, and the guppies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wait, are those guppies? No offense to livebearers, but I think this tank deserves something awesomer than guppies.
Any suggestions? I was thinking white cloud minnows?
I don't want to do neon tetras... and I want to be able to breed them(whatever they may be). Also note that simple, similar is what I'm going for.

*** Actually, I'd like your guys input on anything you believe would look good.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
+1 on the light going up.

Love the footprint. The 8" depth will be fun :). You can look into Echinorodus tenellus that might look like giant swords at that depth. Another idea is to allocate portion of the tank to surface-trailing stems like R. macrandra or L. repens (that's what I partially did with with my 10" high 12g). Parviflorus parviflorus 'Tropica' will give you a broad-leaf sword that will stay just ~ 8". Another one to consider is Echinodorus angustifolia 'Vesuvius' - interesting looking plant that stays short. Either use it as a single plant or even try it in a 'forrest" - should look good from the top. Pennyworth makes a great trailing plant. I do keep Water Sprite in my nanos (not an obvious choice :)) - they look really nice from above.

Another idea is to go for immersed/emersed look - with plants growing out of the tank aka Paludarium.

Given the tank's 'profile', I think that the view from above is what I would be going for - plants and fish.

Fish: a school of Panda Cories - relatively small, active, look good from above. Otos, albino BN plecos. Also, check out Farlowellas - somewhat an un-common choice.

In any case, Have Fun and please start a journal :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, I'll do that! Can you tell me how to start a journal? And as far as fish go, I was thinking about some kind of goby. I saw one in a planted tank at a lfs but it wasn't for sale. I've tried finding out what it was to no luck.. It was black and looked similar to a saltwater goby.

+1 on the light going up.

Love the footprint. The 8" depth will be fun :). You can look into Echinorodus tenellus that might look like giant swords at that depth. Another idea is to allocate portion of the tank to surface-trailing stems like R. macrandra or L. repens (that's what I partially did with with my 10" high 12g). Parviflorus parviflorus 'Tropica' will give you a broad-leaf sword that will stay just ~ 8". Another one to consider is Echinodorus angustifolia 'Vesuvius' - interesting looking plant that stays short. Either use it as a single plant or even try it in a 'forrest" - should look good from the top. Pennyworth makes a great trailing plant. I do keep Water Sprite in my nanos (not an obvious choice :)) - they look really nice from above.

Another idea is to go for immersed/emersed look - with plants growing out of the tank aka Paludarium.

Given the tank's 'profile', I think that the view from above is what I would be going for - plants and fish.

Fish: a school of Panda Cories - relatively small, active, look good from above. Otos, albino BN plecos. Also, check out Farlowellas - somewhat an un-common choice.

In any case, Have Fun and please start a journal :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts