The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
37G Native Wisconsin Riparium

This project started out as a plan for a substantially larger setup (110 Native Wisconsin Riparium for installation at a local museum, but we are going to have to wait a while to know about approval and funding.

In the meantime we decided to start another exhibit with the same general theme, but in a small tank. We already picked up a Marineland 37 Cube and it is a nice shape. It has a footprint of 20" wide X 18" deep and now I can't remember how tall it is, but it's pretty tall. For a layout intended to look like a stream it could be preferable to have a more linear aquarium, but this one will fit right into the spot at the museum that we open.

This display is supposed to have native Wisconsin stream flora and fauna. I have some pretty good fish ideas, but I'll have to compromise for the plants. Most of our native plants require a cold winter dormancy, so they are not likely to thrive in an indoor display. The grassy plant that I used in the 11.4G riparium setup that I had going a while ago, baby panda bamboo (Pogonatherum paniceum) might be a good plant it use. It is definitely not Wisconsin native--it's from Europe & Asia--but it looks very nice and grows well in ripariums.

I'll have more specs and ideas on the way soon. I am going to get to work on the stand right away this week.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I am going to use that riparium midground plant, Pilea grandifolia, in this project too. It is also not Wisconsin native, but it looks a lot like the native wood nettle (Laportea canadensis) and it is the same plant family, Urticaceae.

Google: Laportea canadensis

That wood nettle is a real typical plant to fiind growing in shady moist spots near trout streams here in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It won't be too difficult. The streams around here usually just have lots of tall grass growing along the banks, so I'll use that baby panda bamboo in most of the planters. Then I'll use the Pilea grandifolia too and maybe some kind of bushy plant with nice flowers.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have a pretty interesting ditch in my back yard with a bunch of interesting plants. Several different grasses and a plant that looks alot like Echinodorus cordifolius, only with a red stem. It is a really interesting little slice of nature, that is for sure.

Good luck with the tank, and the 110g in the future. I haven't see that many cube ripariums around, so this should be real interesting! Do you plan to derim this setup at all?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope I am going to keep the rim on this one and use it with a canopy. Since this one is going into a museum it is better to keep the top buttoned up tight.

Tomorrow I go for lumber.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been working on more ideas for plants to add to this setup.

I was just reminded about these Cyperus helferi that I potted up a little while ago. They are gorwing well already in the riparium planters...

This is for sure not a native Wisconsin plant, but various Cyperus and other sedge species are very typical for streaside areas in Wisconsin and this one looks a lot like some of the ntive ones that we have here.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am working on the stand for this thing again today. I'm using the same kind of construction that I used for the stand under my 56G...

The stand for this setup will need a door and I want to do something fun and different for the door. I am still thinking about that. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took me while but now I have all six panels cut and glued up for the stand. I will start varnishing today.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the varnishing took me awhile but now I am putting the stand together.

I mgiht get the stand over to the museum this weekend.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the stand pretty much all put together, except that I still need to cut, finish and attach the door. I have some more pictures of the stand cosntruction around here somewhere.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is one of a few pictures I got while assembling the stand. Here I'm using a leaf bit to countersink one of the four holes for the large round-head wood screws that I used to attach the cross braces to the bottom shelf from underneath...

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ran out of the 3/4" plywood that I have here. I need to go back over to the museum to see if I can dig up a piece there to use for the door. It only needs to be 17" X 17".

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I htink maybe yes it does need ot be in highish humidity. The leaves are soft. It might acclimate to drier air though with some time.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now I have the cabinaet door painted and finished. I hope to make it over to the museum today to put it all together. If i can work fast enough I might even get water into the tank. I gotta remember to bring the camera along.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts