The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how old these German blue balloon rams are and if they're even old enough to sex at this point but I figured many of you have much more experience than I and could offer some good info. The first photo is of the established ram who I believe to be male. The second picture is of what I believe to be a female, she has only been in the tank a few days and is sometimes chased around by the first ram . the third picture is of the other side of the newer ram. Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A good rule of thumb is that male GBR's will not have any blue speckling inside the black spots on their sides, as to where females will, also females will have a pinker underbelly than males, here are a couple of pictures that point out a few differences between the two.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hard to tell from your photos. A clear profile pic will make it easier.

Usually if the pelvic fins are long enough to stretch past the anal fin, it's usually a male. This has the best way to tell in my experience, even more so than the black spot.
This seems to be the only true and accurate way to do it. It holds true in the photos posted by Aquarist as well (even though the notes dont say anything about it).

All of the other indicators (blue speckling in the black spot, black leading edge of fin, etc) seem to have gotten "watered down" so to say over time and inbreeding.

Another good indicator for females is a pink belly; but that might not always happen right away and a female wont have a pink belly 100% of the time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I actually think you have two males based on the length of the pelvic fins. Usually if the pelvic fins are long enough to stretch past the anal fin, it's usually a male. This has the best way to tell in my experience, even more so than the black spot. Can you get a good side shot of the established ram?
Here's another side shot of the established Ram, trigger.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Didn't you mention that they were locking mouths in another thread? That would lead me to think they were both males trying to establish dominance. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I'm going on behavior I saw when I owned African cichlids.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't you mention that they were locking mouths in another thread? That would lead me to think they were both males trying to establish dominance. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I'm going on behavior I saw when I owned African cichlids.
Yes skelley they were doing that when i first introduced the new ram 2 days ago.I also saw them do it once yesterday. The reason i thought the new ram could be female was beause of the lack of reflective scales on the black spot on it's side.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Oh. Baloon ram? That might make sexing via the anal fin a bit difficult. That last picture does look to be a male though (which I think you already knew?).

Two males might co-exist in a tank together with no problems. I'm sure there are a ton of people who can say they've done it with no issues; and there are probably a ton who can tell you about the problems they've had in the same situation.

But, there very well could be some aggression issues based on a variety of different issues. In a large tank with lots of different "areas" and hiding places, two males might co-exist in the same tank and never bother one another. But that would probably work better if each male had their own established female and each pair had their own established area in the tank.

If you've got two males in a tank and introduce a single female my guess is you'll start seeing some aggression. That will likely show between each male and from each male towards the female as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The two males seem to be getting a long so far. But we'll see it hasn't even been a week yet. I'd like to get get some females and see if I could get them to pair. Had no intention of doing so but it seems like it would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just pm'ed you about my females for sale. Definately try to get a pair, the spawning behavior and the the way they switch up watching over the eggs are amazing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.