The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
That looks like two males to me. These guys have been bred so long that it's hard to tell. If you're lucky the top one is a female. I am making this judgement based on how pointy the anal fin is. Males have a longer, pointier one but that is not always the case. More likely than not it is two males though.

edit: I see what you mean by confusing. The bottom one also looks like a female because of the pink belly and the lack of the extended dorsal fin rays. I still think they are both males though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had them for two days. A friend got them about a week ago, but they weren't getting along with his other tankmates so he gave them to me. He said he and the LFS guy was pretty sure they were male and female when he got them, but started second guessing after he had them a few days. Could've been the lighting at the LFS playing tricks. I've got stronger lights, so after I put them in he definitely wasn't sure too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have nothing helpful here to add, except to wish you good luck, and to let you know that while I was in reddit on an ATHF sub, a notification with your name and this subject popped up, and it was ridiculously confusing for about two seconds, and made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Meatwad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have nothing helpful here to add, except to wish you good luck, and to let you know that while I was in reddit on an ATHF sub, a notification with your name and this subject popped up, and it was ridiculously confusing for about two seconds, and made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Meatwad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
:hihi:

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
I breed rams and dont see any definitive markers on the fish to point either way. They are most likely young and not sexually mature.
When the female gets her red tummy it will be unquestionable that it is a female. Its quite obvious.
Behaviors are more indicative of sex at the late juvenile stage. Two females will often coexist at this stage, a male and female, obviously, and two males will spar.
A male and female will chase off other fish. Immature females dont tend to. Immature males tend to among themselves and take no heed of other fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts