The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I’ve had planted aquaria for many years, I’m new to shrimp keeping.
I bought a dozen or so Fire red juvies and put them into a 24 gallon tank.
They range from 3/8” to ¾” long
One mistake that I made was the substrate is natural colored gravel. It’s hard to see the smaller shrimp.
The ones I do see are happily “grazing”.

Question is;
Some are very red while others are more of an opaque tan color. I read somewhere that the females are the reddest of the two sexes. Is that the case?

It’s fun to just watch them flit around from place to place, then stop and graze.
Charles

·
Registered
788 Posts
"Size & Coloration: With many species the female is typically larger than the male. Also, the female is sometimes darker or more robust in coloration. As with the Red Cherry Shrimp, the female is not only larger but a much darker red coloration. The male Red Cherry Shrimp is instead almost colorless at times and much smaller. Females of some species may also display a line down their backs. Below is a photo of two Red Cherry Shrimp, one male and one female. Notice the size difference and more importantly the difference in coloration."

Source: http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

Just incase you want to know more about sexing.

P.S: Fire Reds are just a high grade of Red Cherry Shrimp if you did not know

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
As shrimpzhu posted you can generally tell sexes by color, and size. Another key difference is the tail. Male shrimps will have a much thinner tail while the females will have a carriage underneath their tail for the eggs, making their tail much wider. (you can also see this in the above picture)

Males can also be seen constantly swimming around if your 24gallon is a shrimp only tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.