The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I've recently added two neon-blue Colisa lalia to my tank. I've read bits here and there about sexing gouramis, but it always seems like it's stuff that applies to other species (i.e. Trichogaster spp).

With all the color variations of Colisa lalia, I'm not sure I know how to sex them. Mine are almost totally neon blue, with a hint of orange striping (a VERY faint hint) near the belly and in the fins. The LFS had other Colisa lalia that were almost half covered with the stripes - could this be two different sexes, or just two different color variations of the species?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Males=colorful
Females=drab/silvery in color

There are lots of variations of dwarf gouramis available nowadays.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Many/most stores sell only male dwarf gouramis. One LFS here occasionally has females and they point it out on the tank when they have them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have always been taught that to sex gouramis that you need to look at the anal fin. If it is more pointed, it's a male, if it's more rounded, it's a female. But, stare into a tank of many moving fish, and this being a pretty subtle and in my opinion, not that reliable of a method, it is pretty difficult at least for me to tell. At best, I can guess for the customers as far as what it looks like to me but I usually tell them that it is just that, a guess, and that I can't guarantee I'm right.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have always been taught that to sex gouramis that you need to look at the anal fin. If it is more pointed, it's a male, if it's more rounded, it's a female. But, stare into a tank of many moving fish, and this being a pretty subtle and in my opinion, not that reliable of a method, it is pretty difficult at least for me to tell. At best, I can guess for the customers as far as what it looks like to me but I usually tell them that it is just that, a guess, and that I can't guarantee I'm right.
I think it was the dorsal fin you were referring, Mandi.:) That is applicable to pearl gouramis and blue gouramis but it's a PITA to determine their sexes.

Colisa lalia is very easy to distinguish sexes with.:) Their coloration alone is the easiest whereas most gouramis are quite difficult to determine their genders.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I have two males and the LFS probably didn't have any females, as all the fish they had were very colorful.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah. you'd have to order the females online... The LFS rarely sell females. People like flashy fish and the females are drab. And the female has a white nub near their rear.. it's the ovipositor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts