The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sexing Amano Shrimps

13224 9
Just wondering if anyone would be able to help me sex some amanos (well three...). I know about the lower line being dots or dashes, though I have two that are kind of faint making it hard to determine.

Another odd thing, I had two which molted three days ago and just got another one today. However, I noticed the new addition is boldly more darker in pattern than the other two. Is it pretty normal for them to look 'duller' after molting?

Here are the critters:
#1 - Looks like it could be a female, though he/she is currently the smallest of the three and does not really have definite 'dashes'...therefore I figured maybe I had all males.

#2 - I thought male after some thought, but he is look duller (and has less dots) since he molted.

#3 - Newest addition. Much more detailed markings. Clearly male.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not at all. I encourage curiosity. I don't know how to sex them either lol
Haha, I do not think many do. Best I could find was "easiest way to determine sex is by lower stripe on sides" with no mentioning of any of the other (more difficult) methods.

Though, my oldest daughter do have a tendency to 'name' all of our pets but she is visiting gma for the summer. So figured I'd solve two things by trying to figure out the gender of our critters. Of course, I am sure the names will be something like 'Shrimpy', 'Stripey', and 'Dots'.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I have no idea how to sex them other than when the females are full of eggs, but in regards to the faint vs. bold colors, I think that may be a matter of age. I ordered 200 amano shrimp from my LFS a few months back and what I got were smaller and more faint that what I was used to. However, they have developed into larger shrimp with bolder markings just like my others. So based on that, I'm thinking the faint markings may be a sign of younger age.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
200? Nice! Clearly, I need more (and bigger) tanks! :icon_mrgr

Interesting observation. That may be the case. It was just a big contrast when I finally give him home and set him free. Thanks again Vicki!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I love amanos (obviously!). I like to have 100 or so in each of my 90g and 75g tanks. Over the years, I lost some to jumping out of the tank (no, that's not a bigger tank on the other side!), climbing into the filtration (some make it, some don't), going down the drain (why do they cling to plants when I'm trimming?), among other things. So after 5 years, I wanted to bring my stocks back up. Plus, you can get a good price discount buying them in large quantities like that.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If I were forced to guess, I'd say 1 and 3 are males and 2 is a female. 2 has what might be a small saddle, the other two have no visible ovaries. It's possible 1 would, under different lighting. The biggest indicator for me in an adult shrimp is size; females are almost twice as big as males when full grown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.