The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever used "Sewer Sand"? It a kind of sand that is used for things that require drainage like sand mound septic fields. It has been pre washed to remove very small particulates. It also has a shape that will not compact and will retain drainage for many years in the field. I am looking for a light colored sandy substrate for things like loaches that like to dig but will not cause dust storms.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Around here we call it "Bank Run". I don't know why it wouldn't work. You can get it for almost nothing at a Sand/Gravel yard. My local yard will even give you a few drywall buckets full.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
i think it's called paving sand here. I have it in my tank now.

It's a nice sand since it has sand mixed in with fine gravel. It looks very natural. Only problem is you have to wash the heck out of it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Any pool/spa store will have pool filter sand (PFC) for about $8-$10 per 50lb bags which is about the best sand you can get since it's clean and between 1mm-2mm in size. But any sand will work as long as it's between 1mm to 3mm anything finer will compact which is a bad thing.

- Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.