The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a simple setting of 6 hrs at max intensity, then off for the rest of the day/night be OK to start with this light in a newly planted tank? From what I understand, it's giving me about 60 PAR for my tank. The programming of this thing just seems overly complex, although I do like how the tank looks at the other lighting levels. Maybe that's something to experiment with down the road.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I would start with 4-5 hours per day personally.

My current tank was setup for 5 hours per day, and after 11 months I finally upped light to 6 hours per day.

Limiting light is a very good way to aid in staying on top of potential early algae.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with 4-5 hours per day personally.

My current tank was setup for 5 hours per day, and after 11 months I finally upped light to 6 hours per day.

Limiting light is a very good way to aid in staying on top of potential early algae.
OK, that's what I'll do. Thanks. Currently battling a lot of hair algae on another new-ish tank and hoping to avoid so much with this one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a very similar setup, and I can tell you what works for me. The only thing that may be different, is that you haven't mentioned CO2, and I have it. Also, my tank is full of shrimp and snails, and some platys, that have all done wonders to battle algae. Take what's useful, and throw away what isn't. But I went through this same exercise, and this is what I arrived at:

On: 9am

9am White=1, Red=4, Blue=2, Green=1:
12pm White=10, Red=10, Blue=10, Green=10:

3pm White=7, Red=7, Blue=7, Green=7:

6pm White=6, Red=6, Blue=4, Green=4:
9pm White=1, Red=0, Blue=5, Green=2:
12am White=0, Red=0, Blue=0, Green=0:
3am White=0, Red=0, Blue=0, Green=0:
6am White=0, Red=0, Blue=0, Green=0:

Off: 12am

I wish this light had smoother transitions between intervals, but it doesn't, so this is what I arrived at. A very long sunrise and sunset. :D

Actually, I slightly lied to you there... Recently, I modified the 3pm slot to be identical to the 12pm slot, for a longer photo period. That is,

3pm White=10, Red=10, Blue=10, Green=10:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a very similar setup, and I can tell you what works for me. The only thing that may be different, is that you haven't mentioned CO2, and I have it. Also, my tank is full of shrimp and snails, and some platys, that have all done wonders to battle algae. Take what's useful, and throw away what isn't. But I went through this same exercise, and this is what I arrived at:

On: 9am

9am White=1, Red=4, Blue=2, Green=1:
12pm White=10, Red=10, Blue=10, Green=10:

3pm White=7, Red=7, Blue=7, Green=7:

6pm White=6, Red=6, Blue=4, Green=4:
9pm White=1, Red=0, Blue=5, Green=2:
12am White=0, Red=0, Blue=0, Green=0:
3am White=0, Red=0, Blue=0, Green=0:
6am White=0, Red=0, Blue=0, Green=0:

Off: 12am

I wish this light had smoother transitions between intervals, but it doesn't, so this is what I arrived at. A very long sunrise and sunset. :D
Thanks, Bucho! I do have CO2, and my tank is empty of livestock at the moment. But I would like to add some amano shrimp and nerites once things are stabilized and before I add any fish.

I will give this lighting schedule a shot. I've currently shut down my light to battle some algae, but maybe this will work for me when I restart it (and hopefully be low enough not to grow my algae again!).

·
Registered
85 Posts
But I would like to add some amano shrimp and nerites once things are stabilized and before I add any fish.
In my humble opinion... I would add snails right away, before anything else. They're ridiculously hardy, and will make short work of the algae - especially the stuff on the glass. Nerites won't eat plants. They're amazing. I have about 12 in my tank, presently.

For a no CO2 setup, I would cut all of the high numbers in half. That light is actually pretty bright.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my humble opinion... I would add snails right away, before anything else. They're ridiculously hardy, and will make short work of the algae - especially the stuff on the glass. Nerites won't eat plants. They're amazing. I have about 12 in my tank, presently.

For a no CO2 setup, I would cut all of the high numbers in half. That light is actually pretty bright.
OK, will plan on adding a couple nerites sooner rather than later.

Also, I'm running CO2 but learned the hard way that even with CO2, the max setting is just way too much in such a shallow tank. Will try your settings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With my listed settings, you should be running CO2 about 20ppm. I don't like to push it too high, just in case the tank dumps. I thought the light settings would be too high at first, so that's why I later adjusted the 3pm. But if you're unsure, keep 3pm as I listed it. (that's why I chose a new thread to edit, instead of an overwrite)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With my listed settings, you should be running CO2 about 20ppm. I don't like to push it too high, just in case the tank dumps. I thought the light settings would be too high at first, so that's why I later adjusted the 3pm. But if you're unsure, keep 3pm as I listed it. (that's why I chose a new thread to edit, instead of an overwrite)
If I can manage to keep the algae away and get things stabilized maybe I'll bump up the 3pm slot down the road, too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

Do you have the same size tank and height as OP? The proper light settings will be affected by the height, type of plants and how heavily planted it is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you have the same size tank and height as OP? The proper light settings will be affected by the height, type of plants and how heavily planted it is.
Yes, I do have the same size tank, with the light mounted on the rim, with the included attach brackets.

The OP should have a fairly heavily planted tank, if using CO2 (which I also assume is the case, if a bright light like this one is in use). Usual water parameters apply.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I do have the same size tank, with the light mounted on the rim, with the included attach brackets.

The OP should have a fairly heavily planted tank, if using CO2 (which I also assume is the case, if a bright light like this one is in use). Usual water parameters apply.
Water Plant Plant community Nature Rectangle

I have a 20G long. Hopefully this is considered heavily planted because that's what I was aiming for. I was also trying for some relatively easy plants (pearl weed, monte carlo, bacopa caroliniana, rotala coin leaf, a few swords that will get too big, some crypts, etc). You can sort of see the algae in this pic. Tank is currently dosed with excel and covered with black trash bags and lights/CO2 off to try to get rid of the algae. Another day or two and I'll resume things with the modified light schedule.

Interestingly, my nitrite and ammonia both tested at 0 today, with 10ppm nitrates. Yesterday I was at 2ppm and .25ppm for nitrite and ammonia, respectively.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would say it's medium-planted but with those fast growers in there, it can be heavily planted in no time, especially with co2. I think you did it right, choosing some easier plants, the only reason you had algae to start was too much light, which is a common mistake. Before these 24/7 lights came out, I always started a tank with 4-5 hrs straight light which is what @Quagulator suggested. That always worked well for me and even at four 4 hours I grew complete carpets clean and algae free. That method still works great. With these newer lights you have the ability to view your tank longer but ramping up/down with dim light and then peaking. With your plants I don't think you need more than 60ish PAR at the peak so, you could do something similar to what @Bucho suggested or go for the 4-5 hrs straight. It's really a personal choice either could work fine. Just keep up with water changes of at least 50% weekly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would say it's medium-planted but with those fast growers in there, it can be heavily planted in no time, especially with co2. I think you did it right, choosing some easier plants, the only reason you had algae to start was too much light, which is a common mistake. Before these 24/7 lights came out, I always started a tank with 4-5 hrs straight light which is what @Quagulator suggested. That always worked well for me and even at four 4 hours I grew complete carpets clean and algae free. That method still works great. With these newer lights you have the ability to view your tank longer but ramping up/down with dim light and then peaking. With your plants I don't think you need more than 60ish PAR at the peak so, you could do something similar to what @Bucho suggested or go for the 4-5 hrs straight. It's really a personal choice either could work fine. Just keep up with water changes of at least 50% weekly.
I've decided to go 50% light intensity for 5 hours. I cleaned things up last night, and my algae doesn't look so awful. I also dialed up my CO2 a bit.

As for water changes, would a 50% water change, once a week be sufficient? Next week starts week 3 for this tank. I spotted some hydra today, and I'd like to treat that today (would require a week of no water changes, so I could wait to treat if frequent water changes are more important). Thanks for all of your help.

Edit: water parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate, 4 KH, and I got a 1.2 Ph drop from CO2 today. Dosed fertilizer yesterday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm honestly probably a terrible person to ask this, even though I have a similar setup. My tank is filled with mineralized rainwater. When I first started the tank, I used it soft, until everything got somewhat settled. Then, I started dosing equilibrium at every top-off. I've actually never done a real "water change" on my tank. It's always crystal clear, and I've never had an algae problem. But as I said, I've had snails in there since day one. And when it cycled, I added a load of shrimp that I caught out of one of the local canals.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've decided to go 50% light intensity for 5 hours. I cleaned things up last night, and my algae doesn't look so awful. I also dialed up my CO2 a bit.

As for water changes, would a 50% water change, once a week be sufficient? Next week starts week 3 for this tank. I spotted some hydra today, and I'd like to treat that today (would require a week of no water changes, so I could wait to treat if frequent water changes are more important). Thanks for all of your help.

Edit: water parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate, 4 KH, and I got a 1.2 Ph drop from CO2 today. Dosed fertilizer yesterday.
50% is generally considered the norm for hi-tech. You'll give yourself the best change of success, by doing at least that. Depending on livestock, maturity, light, plant density, maintenance habits some tanks can get away with less and some need more, but it would be very difficult to hurt yourself by doing too many water changes as long as nutrients are put back in. Doing big water changes give you the most flexibility with the all the things I mentioned above.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts