The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I recently moved and am FINALLY able to set up my 55gal!
It's been cycling for a week now and I've got a couple questions regarding my situation.

I've got Seachem Flourite substrate down and have plants coming.
DHG carpet, Amazon Sword, Red flame, and a bonsai drift wood with java moss "leaves"
Current water parameters are as follows:
PH -> 7.6
Ammonia and NitrITE -> 0ppm
NitrATE -> 20ppm
KH & GH Both -> 200-400ppm
Is the flourite releasing the nitrATE or could the biofilter be SUPER established already? (I did use 5 gallons of cycled water from my current planted tank to start with)
It's obviously not ready for fish, but can I get the plants going with those numbers?
I'm banking on water changes to deal with the high KH/GH, will the driftwood and plants help buffer it to an acceptable level too?
Other info:
PennPlax 1200 canister filter
submersible heater set to 78degrees
CO2 injected at 3-4gtts/sec
Finnex 24/7 Planted+ on 24hr cycle setting.
Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Yes you can plant from day 1 and totally should when possible. It generally helps with the cycle. Can't say where the nitrate is coming from. Growing bacteria is really easy so it could just be you have some eager beavers in your neighborhood (so to say).

Either way wait at least a month before adding fish. You may also wish to add some ammonia to help the cycle along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate that input. I've got some hair grass shoots I could plant at the back end. Would that be best or would you use something the "hangs over" from either side of the road?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts