The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam biulding a 30g hex paludarium for some small lizards/amphibians and fish but there some things iam have trubel with, i realy whant one or two of the back walls to be solid with some plants growing on them so the animals have more space to clime, i was thinking of useing spray on foam stuff and put small plastic plant pots in it then cover it with peat moss, then i could have plants growing on the walls but iam not sure what the foam is called and how hard it would be? i have 2.5-3.5g of water (its about 8"HX6"WX12-16"L)the things i was wondering are, my water is hard PH about 8 dos that matter to mutch for plants?the tank is 2feet high would one 18watt plant light and one 15watt UVB for the reptiles be enough light for any aquatic plants?(i was thinking some frog bit on the surface dwarf hair grass, weeping/java moss ect)i whanted to put my fire belly newt in the tank(its the smaller chinese not the larger japanese kind)but i also whant some small fish(neon tetras, dwarf frog ect)and my newt tank is about 65 would he be ok in 75-78? i was thinking of useing some live bamboo in the water section to hide a small elite mini filter and heater but would it cause any harm to the fish ect? and how fast dos it grow? most important is do i need fertilizer? and if i decied to use some would it harm amphibians or lizards that drank the water? sorry for the long post i just whant to get some idease before i go any further(right now i have the tank with the land water divider and the lights)

·
Registered
246 Posts
First off, not to be rude or anything, but I would ask that you use better punctuation and grammer, as it's rather difficult to read your post. This just makes it easier for us to be able to answer your questions succinctly. :icon_smil

To begin, the spray foam you are looking for is called Great Stuff. You can get it either in the gap or window/door form (the former expands more than the latter.) It's relatively easy to work with if you apply it in layers and let them dry thoroughly before the next application. Remember to use very thin layers, as this stuff expands to a surprising extent. To use the pots, you can either incorporate them in the foam when you apply it, or cut out portions of foam in which you can slide the baskets. The course you take is entirely up to you, but before you do it, I highly advise that you visit www.dendroboard.com for some examples. It always helps to have an example after which to follow.

Now, for the water section, I don't believe that you'll have much luck with the dwarf hairgrass due to your barely 1wpg (along with the abundance of shade provded by the frogbit,) but any type of moss or java fern should do relatively well.

I would highly advise agains including your newt in this tank, as temperatures above 70F often promote fungal infections. In addition, if you included a dwarf frog, your newt would try to eat it. Otherwise, I keep fish with my newts, but you'll have to significantly reduce the vivarium's temperature to suite the needs of your caudate. Lastly, I don't think any newt would be too happy with such little water. They should have at least 5 gallons to be happy.

Lastly, if you use lucky bamboo, it grows very rapidly and isn't always terribly attractive. Why not look into semi-aquatic plants like aluminum plant, Lobelia cardenalis, water hedge, etc. If you include fish, your plants probably won't need fertilization, because under low lights, they won't be growing too very rapidly. Just remeber to sparsely populate the tank, as you don't have very much water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, sorry about my post but iam a realy bad speller:icon_redf

i spent a lot of time looking on dendroboard and got some ideas but now i wish i could get some dart frogs! but there more money than iam willing to spend on a tiny frog at the moment:icon_frow , iam going to do a great stuff with coco bedding background and stick some pots for plants and branches in it, i have one can of what looks like great stuff(expanding foam)called mono is this safe to use? i hae one 16oz can of GS already but i whant to cover 3 sides(each about 20"X10")and i dont think it will be enough, if anyone has any tips on useing GS it would be vary helpfull sence ive never used it before and i dont whant to mess up:icon_smil

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't go crazy on your first layer, cause it expands way more than you'd think... you don't want to crack your tank. Also, wear gloves, great stuff is a huge pain to try and get off of skin and clothing. Lastly, dont put the coco bedding directly into the GS, coat it in a layer of silicone and then dust it on, it holds better and covers up the yellow color way better imo.

-Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.