The Planted Tank Forum banner

Setting Up New Tank - Advice Needed

639 2
Hello,

I recently took advantage of Petco's $1 per gallon sale and bought a 29 gallon tank. When I was a teenager, I had a 20 gallon tank that created problem after problem after problem. So, this time I'm hoping to do it right to limit problems for me in the future. I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm kind of overwhelmed at all the different information out there.

I would consider this a budget build, and don't want to pay for anything I don't absolutely need. I would also like this to be a low maintenance tank (No CO2). I plan on keeping low light plants like java fern, swords, wisteria, anubias, crypts, etc. Here is what I'm currently thinking for my set up.

Filter
SunSun HW-302

Heater
Aqueon 150w Heater
Apartment stays at 72F in the summer and 68F in the winter

Lighting
Beamswork FSPEC LED Aquarium Light
This is where I have the most questions. First, the aquarium will have a glass top in order to keep the cat out. I'm not sure if that affects calculations or not. Second, do I have to get the 30" model or will I be ok with the 24"? The 24" would save a lot of money an is eligible for amazon prime which is nice. Will these lights be too powerful? The room the tank gets a lot of ambient (not direct) light. My entire apartment does so there is no escaping this. Any help or suggestions for a low tech 29 gallon would be greatly appreciated.

Substrate
Currently leaning towards black diamond sand with root tabs
Thought about dirt cap but would like to be able to move things around often without worry

Ferts
Do I even need ferts?
Have read a lot of stuff about flourish excel so I was planning on using that
Also need to look into dry ferts

Thank you for any help!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hello,

I recently took advantage of Petco's $1 per gallon sale and bought a 29 gallon tank. When I was a teenager, I had a 20 gallon tank that created problem after problem after problem. So, this time I'm hoping to do it right to limit problems for me in the future. I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm kind of overwhelmed at all the different information out there.

I would consider this a budget build, and don't want to pay for anything I don't absolutely need. I would also like this to be a low maintenance tank (No CO2). I plan on keeping low light plants like java fern, swords, wisteria, anubias, crypts, etc. Here is what I'm currently thinking for my set up.

Filter
SunSun HW-302

Heater
Aqueon 150w Heater
Apartment stays at 72F in the summer and 68F in the winter

Lighting
Beamswork FSPEC LED Aquarium Light
This is where I have the most questions. First, the aquarium will have a glass top in order to keep the cat out. I'm not sure if that affects calculations or not. Second, do I have to get the 30" model or will I be ok with the 24"? The 24" would save a lot of money an is eligible for amazon prime which is nice. Will these lights be too powerful? The room the tank gets a lot of ambient (not direct) light. My entire apartment does so there is no escaping this. Any help or suggestions for a low tech 29 gallon would be greatly appreciated.

Substrate
Currently leaning towards black diamond sand with root tabs
Thought about dirt cap but would like to be able to move things around often without worry

Ferts
Do I even need ferts?
Have read a lot of stuff about flourish excel so I was planning on using that
Also need to look into dry ferts

Thank you for any help!
Congrats on the new tank!

I have heard nothing but amazing things about the sun sun.

Make sure that the heater is the pro version. I would not get any other heater because the pro is amazing!

For the lighting I'm not sure what the cost of the teamwork light is but I would suggest even a workshop light fixture with tube lights but that would cost you replacing the tube lights every once in a while.

For the substrate, you can also do a mix of the black diamond sand and pool filter sand. Dirt is a great option but only if you plan on never moving your plants again.

For certs you could do some osmocote pills from ebay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize I should probably ask this question in the lighting section, but don't want to make a whole new thread.

After doing some more research, it seems the beamswork I selected in more appropriate for marine tanks. Does anyone know which Beamswork model would get me between the 20-30 par range through a glass top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.