The Planted Tank Forum banner

Setting up co2 on a tank with 2 filters

782 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Asteroid
I'm finally getting back into aquascaping as I finally managed to set apart a good budget for a great tank.

As such I went for the ADA 120p, waiting for pre-order through the store along with the cabinet. Tank, cabinet, co2 system and filters arrive on the 30th this month. Now I'm wondering how to set it up, I bought 1 cylinder, a regulator with 1 needle valve and 1 oversized reactor.

I was thinking of placing the filter opposite of each other, so filter 1 lily pipe outlet on the left front, inlet on the left back. Filter 2 lilly pipe inlet on the right front and the outlet on the right back. So filter 1, which would have the reactor, would flow directly into the inlet of filter 2 and vice versa. Logic behind this would be that the dissolved co2 from filter 1 would get sucked into filter 2 which would then blow it across the back of the tank.

Question is, does it work in practice or will the majority of the co2 escape the inlet suction? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this at all possible or do I need another co2 system or splitter for the other filter?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,588 Posts
It doesn't matter as long as you are injecting enough CO2 into the water and there is enough flow throughout the tank to distribute the CO2 everywhere. I don't understand your concern about distributing the CO2 into the other filter (?)

· Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,588 Posts
Well that is kind of the question, though perhaps wrongly phrased. How does the flow and distribution of co2 go through the tank with the 2 filters?

As there will be an outlet on both the front and the back of the tank. All I am thinking of is if the co2 will get distributed evenly. The flow of the front outlet will, of course, lose some of its power by the time it reaches the outlet on the back. Does that mean that the 2nd filter picks up the flow of the first or will it create a "build up" zone of 2 competing flows where the co2 will get stuck?

Alternatively, am I just making this more difficult than it actually is? Am I placing the inlet and outlet on right places? This might seem rudimentary to some of the better, more experienced, scapers but it will be my first time working like this and I really just want to get it right.
Yeah as long as water is moving throughout all areas of the tank, so is your CO2. With 2 filters/intakes/output you can play around and see what works best for you. The only "wrong answer" is a setup that has dead spots where you don't have any flow. You might even have too much flow running both of those filters lol. You'll figure it out once you get up and running, definitely wouldn't stress it now

1 - 2 of 2 Posts