The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, as the title says I'm wanting to set up and OEBT shrimp tank in the near future.

Anyone with shrimp experience have so advice they can share, such as ideal tank parameters and what not?

What kind of substrate etc.

I'm thinking of using a 10 gallon tank or something of similar size. for filtration a sponge filter. The tank will be planted, but low tech with lots of moss.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Do you have other shrimp or ever had shrimp. The reason I ask is that OEBT's, at least around here, go for like $20 a piece and I'd hate to see someone kill them all off just learning about shrimp and getting a tank setup for them. I think most start with cherries or something easy first and go from there to the more delicate and harder breeds.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Forgot OEBT means two different shrimp I'm referring to Blue tigers with orange eyes.
That is correct. Those are OEBT. Orange Eye Black Tigers aren't called OEBT because that would be too confusing, and they are the rarer version.

Also, the commenter is correct. OEBT are about as difficult to keep as low grade CRS/CBS. Definitely make sure that your parameters are up to snuff.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm aware they are a little more difficult to keep than RCS and normal tigers. And I assumed these guys were the next step up.

Anyway... I'd like to give them a shot.

I'd kinda like some input on caring for these guys. parameters etc. I know they like a low ph and low temp, but I don't know a ton more than that.

Anyone that has experience with breeding these care to chime in?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have several low tech tanks of OEBTs and I find them easy to care for. All my tanks have Flourite black sand as substrate. I am just using tap water and I only do small water changes or just add water as needed. They seem very hardy and I rarely check the water parameters. Temperature is key, they die if it gets too hot. I keep my tanks around 74 or lower. Last summer I started with 13 of them (after killing my first batch of 6) and now I have several hundred.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, EKLiu. I always though they were fairly hardy as long as you keep the temp down. What do you use to keep the temperature below 74? Or is that just room temp.

Any other advice is welcome!

Keep it coming, guys.

Also if anyone knows good places to purchase them let me know.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If room temperature gets warm for long periods, you want to keep the top open. If that isn't enough to keep the temperature down, a small clip on fan blowing across the top will give you 3 or 4 degrees through additional evaporation. Beyond that you're looking at a chiller. Some people try to use frozen pop bottles and the like, but that's more of an emergency measure than a long term solution.

As far as buying them goes, you can't beat the swap and shop here on the site. If nobody is offering them at the moment you can try a Want To Buy thread as well, you'll likely get a response in a day or two at most.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't experience any difference between oebt, rcs,blue pearl or cherry as far as raising concerns. I always use room temp at around 76 and sometimes up to 78 and they are doing just great. my ph is quite high too at about 7.8. so imho oebts are very hardy and easy to take care of so long as you keep your water clean.
My setup is very much similar of you are planning to do. sponge filters, mosses and no heaters. I now have several tanks strictly for oebts and some have gravels only while others have aquasoil and homemade soil for substrates.
I would say give your tank good cycling and you are good to go.

disvegas,

·
Registered
215 Posts
I sell them periodically to thin out my colony and will have avail by the end of this month. I opt not to give price since this thread is not about selling.

disvegas,

Thanks, Disvegas! This is the kind of information I wanted. Out of curiosity do you ever sell your OEBTs? And if you do what is your usual price? I'll be looking in to some in the future. Need to get everything ready first.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Disvegas is absolutly right. I got some of his OEBT from his last sale and all of the still doing great.
I kept mine around the same temp (76-78) in a 5.5 g.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I got some of disvegas' blue tigers in the past. His experience gives me hope for keeping any shrimp. I agree that water cleanliness is the most important thing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have heard they won't do so well in warmer water, but I have had mine in 76-78 degree water and they are okay. I have about 4 berried at the moment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
whatever you do with ur water, just make sure to age it at least overnite before filling/refilling. by doing so you will eliminate most of the problems.

disvegas,

Great, sounds like I won't have to mess with temps too much then. I'm guessing if everything is stable they will breed. Probably pick up a tank tomorrow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
whatever you do with ur water, just make sure to age it at least overnite before filling/refilling. by doing so you will eliminate most of the problems.

disvegas,

what do you mean by "just make sure to age IT overnite"??? I'm curious bcs I've never done this technique before, but if it decreases the chances of my OEBTs from dying then I will start doing this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts