The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the thought....tell me if this is correct. I am going to run a little sponge filter is my home tank for a couple 3 weeks to gather beneficial bacteria (more than that???). Add water to the 5 gallon (the Q tank) from the home tank .....no gravel or anything....put the sponge filter in the Q tank...heater etc. Add the new fish I get and observe for however long it takes...3 wks max if all is good???also read that I can put a hardy whatever fish in there to help start the process of bacteria....I don't think I want to do that however as I would probably dismantle the Q tank after the fish are added to the home tank...I am pretty stocked in the tank....1 species tank. 33 green neon with Amanos, Cherry Shrimp, Nerites. Looking to add another 12 or so of the Greens and call it done (for now) :) Does this sound OK??? thanks in advance

·
Registered
497 Posts
I do this all the time. As long as the fish is not too large it works. The one concern with some species is jumping. I've had tetra jump out from time to time so you might set a screen or similar on top if you are concern. Typically they won't jump unless startled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my greens in a 40 gallon with no lid...but being in a smaller tank with no hiding places...it's probably a good idea. Thank you ...so I guess everything sounds ok....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do this with a 10G aquarium. I put a couple large pvc pipe in the tank so they have something to hide in. I do throw away the sponge filter after every batch and put a new seeded one in there.
good call on the PVC...Greens are very shy...also going to paint the back and sides of the tank. I will throw out the filter...thank you

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
You don't need to throw away the filter when you're finished. Just rinse it in a bleach solution, then soak it in a Primed water solution and let it dry out completely. Tossing it is just unnecessarily creating waste. I have a bunch of sponges I've used for quarantine for years/decades.

I usually keep a small sponge running in an existing tank or two so I can pull them out to seed small QT tanks. Usually put the sponge in the new tank, dose with ammonia to make sure it can process a couple ml per day and then it's good to go. Each time I remove a sponge from a running tank, I replace it with another so I've always got one handy. Never know when you'll need a spare.

Your plan sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't need to throw away the filter when you're finished. Just rinse it in a bleach solution, then soak it in a Primed water solution and let it dry out completely. Tossing it is just unnecessarily creating waste. I have a bunch of sponges I've used for quarantine for years/decades.

I usually keep a small sponge running in an existing tank or two so I can pull them out to seed small QT tanks. Usually put the sponge in the new tank, dose with ammonia to make sure it can process a couple ml per day and then it's good to go. Each time I remove a sponge from a running tank, I replace it with another so I've always got one handy. Never know when you'll need a spare.

Thank you for tips....sometimes I am unsure of myself and need to bounce thinks off of people who have been in the hobby lo get than I. Got the sponge filter started in the home tank today...now I wait. Thank you again.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not a fan of bleach. I just let them dry out for a few months until i need them again. I have lots of sponge filters and all my tanks have at least one - the fishes love hiding under them so i put small stones under them to raise them a little bit and also i have fishes that love to hide in the tubes. Of course one pleco got stuck there for a couple of months till i realized it was seriously missing and had to rescue her. Guess there was enough food to keep er ticking.

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
I'm not a fan of bleach. I just let them dry out for a few months until i need them again.
Many pathogens and bacteria survive being dry or go dormant. Some Microsporidia spores (one type causes Tetra Wasting Disease, et al) can survive long periods of dryness, unfortunately. So chemical treatment can be a necessity in some instances.

Bleach solutions (or other agents) also help get rid of any excess medication used during quarantine.

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
I do this too- but I use plastic or silk plants for hiding / security, spray those down w/bleach water solution and rinse afterwards. Instead of bleaching my sponges, I boil them for 5 min. I've read that will kill most pathogens but please correct me if I'm wrong!
That's probably fine for most things we're dealing with in the hobby. Though it takes more effort than just squeezing a sponge out several times in a bleach solution. Plus you can accidentally forget your sponges are soaking in bleach for a few days without much worry. o_O Can't safely do that when boiling.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That's probably fine for most things we're dealing with in the hobby. Though it takes more effort than just squeezing a sponge out several times in a bleach solution. Plus you can accidentally forget your sponges are soaking in bleach for a few days without much worry. o_O Can't safely do that when boiling.
I put a timer on it, just as if I were cooking food- so no, I don't forget they're in there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts