The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm trying to set up my first planted tank.

So far I have a 30 gallon tank, a dual t5 21 watts x2 1 6700K 1 10,000K bulbs, and about 2 inches of flourite.

Im thinking about getting this plant assortment:http://www.aquariumplants.com/36_Plant_Assortment_Hardy_Low_Light_p/ashll36.htm

I'm doing research and I'll learn from trial and error, but does anyone have any suggestions on whether I'm going in the right direction? Do I have enough light?

I'm also thinking no CO2 and maybe some liquid ferts.

I guess I'm asking, what would someone with experience do with this setup ?

Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Only problem I see with the set up is the lights. With that much light you either need to run just one bulb. Or get co2 otherwise you might be looking at a mess load of algae. So maybe look into getting some sea chem flourish excel which is like a synthetic carbon and also is a good way to keep algae at bay. Other than that the set up looks nice. I myself have a 30g planted tank. I am no expert though so I hope some one else responds too.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only problem I see with the set up is the lights. With that much light you either need to run just one bulb. Or get co2 otherwise you might be looking at a mess load of algae. So maybe look into getting some sea chem flourish excel which is like a synthetic carbon and also is a good way to keep algae at bay. Other than that the set up looks nice. I myself have a 30g planted tank. I am no expert though so I hope some one else responds too.

Best of luck!
Thanks!
So you think it might be too much light, I was thinking it wasn't enough.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I dont think its too much light also, or it might be not enough light for a bunch of high-light plants you gonna put in there, what I would suggest is
Try to increase the substrate to 3inches
If you can't afford the CO2 system, try the small DIY CO2 with 2l bottle

I have 2 T5HO bulbs and 2 T5 bulbs on my 30gallon tank 29L x 12W x 18H

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think its too much light also, or it might be not enough light for a bunch of high-light plants you gonna put in there, what I would suggest is
Try to increase the substrate to 3inches
If you can't afford the CO2 system, try the small DIY CO2 with 2l bottle

I have 2 T5HO bulbs and 2 T5 bulbs on my 30gallon tank 29L x 12W x 18H
Thanks, this tank is a 36lx12wx16h.

DIY co2 is definitely possible once the tank is set should it be needed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, this tank is a 36lx12wx16h.

DIY co2 is definitely possible once the tank is set should it be needed.
I have the same tank instead of a 10000k bulb mine is a colormax. It's about medium light from what I'm told by people here. I did DIY CO2 and have had decent results. It's trial and error without a doubt but without knowing what kind of fish you have Otos have done a good job with the algea (still some here and there). I don't have a recent pic in my journal might upload one later tonight. I would be real interested in how yours goes as I'm not far from starting another tank with a better substrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.