The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am getting back into fish keeping / aquascaping next month after a 6 year hiatus (college / started a business) and I wanted to ask a few things. I will be setting up a medium tech 40 breeder peaceful community tank. I want ferns, mosses, anubias, dwarf sag, Marsilea Minuta. I plan on doing pool filter sand as most of my plants won't need to be in the substrate.

My question is, what type of light would be best for this set up? No co2 for right now, and I want to avoid algae as much as I can. What ferts should I use? Just a simple flourish every other day? Lastly, I would like to get the Sun Sun canister filter with the UV light to keep water crystal clear. Are there any negatives to the UV light for my fish / plants? Thanks!

Picture is an example of what I would like to re create. I have confidence with the right tools I can create a masterpiece. I have a lot of free time as well and work at home haha. Oh and I am a filmmaker so I plan on creating high production films of my tank for yall.

Our video work: Wise Films - Homepage

·
Registered
752 Posts
You could consider the Finnex stingray series. They are medium to low par at the substrate which is any what you want. They are fairly inexpensive as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ok, you posted two links to the Finnex Stingray. lol. Over a 40b you are going to want a 36" fixture.

Personally I'm partial to the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7, but it's a lot more light and may require co2.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sorry about that haha. I meant to use this as the second link:

Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch : Pet Supplies

the 24/7 light looks great, but I a afraid of algae lol
Based on what I've read for Par readings your going to have high light w/ that and need Co2 eventually, whether you want it or not, to avoid algae.

Even with the Planted Plus 24/7, which is less par than the FugeRay from my understanding, I'm still fighting some Algae on my 75 and getting ready to add pressurized Co2. And that's with double dosing Excel Daily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.