The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into the hobby, and need some help. I have the tank 6'long, 18"deep, 24"tall 130? gallon oceanic, one 2028 Eheim, Flourite substate, dupla substrate heating cables, and working on a wood canopy that might hold (have not bought yet, 2x96 & 2x55 ah supply kits), I also picked up a Co2 tank, reg. & sol. so I need some whare to hook up the Co2 reactor, sounds like the flow from the filter gets slowed down a bit with a reactor.
Are two filters a much better setup, or do I need two?
Also thinking about getting an inline u/v sterilizer (gadget freek) are two things hooked up to a filter one too many?
And as far as how heavy the planting and the fish load.
Mabie about 1/2 planted or more,,, i think.
fish load mabie ,,,,, 30 tetra and must have blue rams.

·
Registered
712 Posts
from a filtration standpoint, probably sufficient. from a circulation standpoint, probably not. i have a 2028 running on a much smaller tank (heavily planted), and it doesn't give me the circulation and waterflow i would like. you could try doing what's been suggested in recent inline reactor threads and place the reactor on the inlet side? the u/v should definitely be placed on the output side after the water has been filtered. i suspect you'll find the flow insufficient too. you could start with your existing equipment and augment as you see fit? fish-keepings always a lot of trial & error and experimentation as you already know.
-snafu

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I would have to agree. I have to run an Eheim 2026 and a Rena XP3 to get sufficient flow in my 90g. You could add a powerhead if you don't plan on keeping a lot of fish in there. Otherwise, look into getting two Eheim 2026's or get one and a Rena XP3 pr XP4 to go along with it. Eheim is simply the best IMHO, but the Rena's are pretty good too, plus they get slightly better flow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2128 and 2028 on a 75G

I run a 2128 and a 2028 on a planted 75 gallon tank with goldfish. The output of the 2028 flows through an Arctic chiller for hot summer months. The output of the 2128 flows through a Turbo Twist UV sterilizer and an Aquamedic CO2 reactor. The filtration is excellent even with 3 large goldfish and the flow is good. I've drilled my outlet tubes to lesson the flow somewhat. I wouldn't do anything less on a larger tank.

John

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for the reply, sounds like one 2028 is mabie about half way there, and another filter is needed.
Right now I am building the canopy and it is nice to know that a few more holes in the back will be needed.
Been looking into filters, and the Rena xp3 sounds like a good choice, and for the price of three xp3 you can get the massive Eheim 2080 pro3. So far filter choice down to xp3, 2026, 2028 or the 2080 pro3. I might need to filter with peet, , the xp4 looked as if it might have a spare basket.
For the price the Rena seems to be a good choice, is the Rena loud?
Would the 2080 be an overkill?
Found a review on the 2080

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=7080&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Let me put it this way. Eheim is silent. Rena is pretty quiet, but there is a slight audible trickling sound. Not really that bad IMHO.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
IMO, if you can afford it go with the Pro 3. If you want to save some money, Rena is a good bet. The plastic is much better on Eheim baskets and of course the general quality and quietness. I have both but now prefer Eheims.

BTW, I have hooked up a UV and an inline heater to one canister without a problem in the past. Presently I have a reactor and a Hydor heater hooked up to an XP3 without any problems for over a year. I don't think I would try putting three peripherals on one filter. I prefer rigging a UV as hang on back so you can move from tank to tank for GW outbreaks. Running UV 24/7 messes with iron uptake.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm a fan of two canisters on any decent size tank. even my 55 gallon has an eheim 2213? and a 2216? (I think those are the numbers- it's the small classic and medium classic) plus a small power head at the bottom in the middle. keeps the water moving well without any surface disruption.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up an xp3 today from petsmart they matched the internet price and they had a 30.00 off coupon.
For the price ,,,, the xp3 is a great deal!!! :hihi:
Makeing provisions for a third, but will start with two filters and one powerhead.
I have seen the eheim video on the new electronic filter ,,,WOW!

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I run both a FilStar XP3 and an Eheim 2128 on my 125 gallon tank.

I run a 2128 and a 2028 on a planted 75 gallon tank with goldfish. The output of the 2028 flows through an Arctic chiller for hot summer months. The output of the 2128 flows through a Turbo Twist UV sterilizer and an Aquamedic CO2 reactor. The filtration is excellent even with 3 large goldfish and the flow is good. I've drilled my outlet tubes to lesson the flow somewhat. I wouldn't do anything less on a larger tank.

John

??? You need a chiller for Chicago temps? It doesn't get that hot up here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.