The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is is better to use sand or regular gravel for set up? sand looks better in my opinion, but its more work when is about time to do maintenance and cleaning. And the other think, is it ok to use regular basic gravel from the store like petco or petland?, or it is better to use gravel specifically made for shrimp tank. I know gravel can change water PH, GH/KH

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Neither is better or worse; you can use both if you want.

Sand sometimes compacts with time, so you might end up with more dead spots, but plants can help alleviate this problem. In addition, sand might look more size accurate in smaller aquariums (i.e. large grained gravel may look a bit strange).

Of course, that isn't to say that gravel isn't also OK to use. Just be sure that it doesn't change your pH/gH/kH.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can use stone from a landscape store too. These are places that sell rock, sand, bark, soil and similar things by the ton or by the cubic yard. They also sell smaller quantities.
Take some sandwich size baggies to the rock yard and a sharpie marker. Take samples of the materials you like and test them at home to see if they will alter the GH, KH, pH or TDS of your water.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
They are ok to use.
I have some shrimp tanks with gravel and some with coarse sand (ordered on line). After several years of using both I would go with small pebble gravel for easier maintenance but if you add some MTSs to get rid of toxic pockets sand is just as well. Sorry this probably did not help make up your mind. Go for what you think looks better. If you want a nice looking planted tank and the shrimp are just decoration go with sand. Also consider the shrimp you are getting. Nice fire red shrimp, snowball shrimp or CRS look awesome on black gravel. OEBTs look better on light colored sand.

While the substrate could change the water values over time it should not make much difference if you do regular small water changes. I believe if you use limestone or coral as rocks then this might be an issue but between sand and gravel there is not much to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.