The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about picking up 9 serpae tetras to help complement my lemon tetras. I saw a couple threads a while ago about how great the lemons were so I got nine and really don't like them. I was hoping the red from the serpae would be a nice contrast and help bring out the lemon's collar. I haven't had serpae for over ten years and I think I remember them being nippers. Is a school of 9 serpae risky with angel fish? thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had 5 with some angelfish and I didn't have any problems with nipping. I've also heard that some people have had problems, so it might some down to the personalities of the individual serpae tetras.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It depends on where their ancestors came from. One strain from southern Brazil is totally chill. Another strain a little to the north has warfare hardwired into their system.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had 10 serpaes and they were very active, colorful fish. They do shred eachothers fins and sometimes in the midst of squabling, a glass catfish or betta would get to close and get nipped too. I returned mine because I didn't like the constant fighting and the torn fins looked bad.

How long have you had your lemon tetras? Is your tank planted? I have been thinking about getting around 20 of these because I have read repeatedly they school nicely and color up beautifully in a planted tank. So, I'm just curious why yours aren't bright for you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have had serpae tetras in the past and like them very much. Sometimes they were a little aggressive toward each other but I did not have trouble between them and other fish. They are very colorful and active. When I planted my 29 gallon tank I would have picked up serpae tetras for it but the store only had a couple left so I got lemons, which I also really like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts