The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me how shipping a package from California all the way to Kentucky, then back over to Oregon is efficient?

It was one thing when it was just general goods but this package has live critters in it! :angryfire

I know there MUST be a good reason for this but I sure don't know what it is.

Is this normal shipping behavior? Or maybe just for UPS?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Generally they do it for next day and 2nd day. The logic is simple really. Bring all those packages in to one common point. Then send out from there. You have greater control. And yes, it's pretty efficient given they have their own planes. Think about it. Instead of trying to route form 100's (1000s?) of different cities and finding planes going there you bring everything to one central location. Then since you have planes going to airports near the final destination you fly them there. Then it's in the normal queue at the local UPS branch.

Ground packages go right from the origination point to final in most cases without a trip to KY.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured there had to be a reason...

I have had this happen with ground shipping also though.

I just figured there must be enough packages going from California up to the Seattle and/or Portland area that would justify a shipment going directly that direction. I guess I was wrong!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts