The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When redoing your tank how do you guys separate the two? I think it is almost impossible without it mixing because it keeps sliding when you're trying to take out one of the substrate.

Well I'm thinking of redoing my tank and want to try scaping with a middle path but if I don't like it I hope I can find a way to fix it or redo it again.

For the people that has done this layout, do you guys have a mindset of leaving it like that forever.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
37 views and nobody knows, oh well i guess I gotta get it right the first time or else it's going to be a big mess.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I can help you. I've done sand foregrounds on my two ADA tanks.

If the AS is dry, this is no problem, simply use a divider, pour, and level.

If the AS is wet, things get difficult. You have to take all the substrate out. All of it, then rinse the tank to get loose granules out. Then, get as much water out of the AS as possible by letting it grain, perhaps in a colander.

Then, use a divider. Pour AS first. Actually, you may not pour, I used a spatula and sort of cemented in a 3.5 inch layer. Then, pour sand. Flatten and level. It helps tremendously if you have a sort of dividing hardscape like driftwood.

If there is sand already in the tank and you want to redivide, you may have to buy more. If you are using powersand, it will be impossible to seperate it from the AS without a lot of work.

·
Registered
517 Posts
while i'm sure he appreciates the good intention mrbelvedere, but i think his situation is he already has divided them for his current scape, but now he wants to undivide them to use the two in a different scape.

my best guess would be to use a strainer that has holes large enough to hold the aquasoil back but let the sand fall through. kind of like when you're sifting for gold in the river in the old days

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it is almost impossible to do a neat job on this. I was just wondering if anyone here has any technique they like to share. My problem is when I start to take out the sand, the AS keeps on falling back to the sand because of it is an uneven level now. Oh well, I just better get it right and leave it like that....forever.:wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know it is almost impossible to do a neat job on this. I was just wondering if anyone here has any technique they like to share. My problem is when I start to take out the sand, the AS keeps on falling back to the sand because of it is an uneven level now. Oh well, I just better get it right and leave it like that....forever.:wink:
Can you go to home depot or lowes and get a scrap of plexiglass? That would be stiff enough to slide it in between the AS and Sand, and allow you to scoop one out while holding back the other. (Theoretically anyway)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts