The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m going to be rescaping one of my tanks.

Currently is sand substrate with Anubis’s and Java fern and mosses on wood as the centre piece, want to go back to jungle look but with a separated section of sand, I have a couple Corys.

I’ve separated substrate in a Betta tank with a few stones, but that’s easy as it’s just the one fish, this tank will have more maintenance so something a bit more robust and no chance of mixing as I plan to grow a full carpet again.

Was thinking if maybe a piece of Perspex stuck to the base of the tank when empty and then use some small gravel to cover the border?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's tough to keep substrates separate in a way that works well and also looks good.

I have recently discovered the wonders of waterfall foam + rocks for this and would recommend that route for the adventurous aquascaper.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ughhh...Perspex, use Plexiglas, instead.:)

In order to keep DHG and Dwarf Sag from spreading, I use flexible, clear, corner guards (PETG?), such as you would buy at Lowes or Home Depot to protect the corners of your walls. It can be bent, without breaking, to allow for curved designs. Additionally, there will be a seam along the center, which allows the entire strip to be bent. If I have a problem with it riding up above the substrate surface (usually don't), you can cut what will be the bottom, every inch or so, then bend those bottom cut sections in opposite directions every other cut, so that the substrate sits on top of those flaps to hold the 'retaining wall' in place.

I don't know if substrate mixing will occur below this installation, but it will be seamless, except at the point where the ends meet, about the top one inch of substrate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts