The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My gouramis spawned in my 20gal community tank three days ago. I originally thought the father abandoned the nest, but it looks like he moved the fry to a safer location that was harder for me to see. They are not free swimming yet. I have some options, I think. I do not have any experience with fish fry and would like tips from people who have bred sparkling gouramis :)

These are some options that I believe I have.

1. Buy a breeder net for them, leave them in the unlidded community tank, and squirt some liquifry in there.

2. Put them in the shrimp tank, which has a cover, and squirt liquefry in there. I don't mind if the cherries get eaten as the fry mature. Would the shrimp might eat the babies as theyre really darn small and don't move quickly?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi all,

My gouramis spawned in my 20gal community tank three days ago. I originally thought the father abandoned the nest, but it looks like he moved the fry to a safer location that was harder for me to see. They are not free swimming yet. I have some options, I think. I do not have any experience with fish fry and would like tips from people who have bred sparkling gouramis :)

These are some options that I believe I have.

1. Buy a breeder net for them, leave them in the unlidded community tank, and squirt some liquifry in there.

2. Put them in the shrimp tank, which has a cover, and squirt liquefry in there. I don't mind if the cherries get eaten as the fry mature. Would the shrimp might eat the babies as theyre really darn small and don't move quickly? Yes the cherries will eat them if they can catch them at that size

Not much experience with Sparkling Gourami fry but I'd definitely try your first option.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Liquifry will likely not work...like most fry, anabantoids fry generally only eat stuff that moves. Is there any way you can get an infusoria culture up quickly or, at least, put some moss from a running tank into the rearing tank?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I will put in some moss from another tank. I have lots of moss in a separate tank. I heard the fry would be too small to eat artemia for the first 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I find the breeder nets are really not what I want when I have small fry and put them in tanks with larger fish. The net is so loose and the fish can see the fry. That wound up with the fish sucking the fry and net in and killing them. Even though they could not technically eat the fry, the result was the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find the breeder nets are really not what I want when I have small fry and put them in tanks with larger fish. The net is so loose and the fish can see the fry. That wound up with the fish sucking the fry and net in and killing them. Even though they could not technically eat the fry, the result was the same.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What worked best for you, then? And what would you suggest I do? I have normans lampeyes, sparkling gouramis, corydoras habrosus, and endlers in this tank.

I am very lucky to be going to a fish meeting tomorrow that normally has live foods for auction lol

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you have a bit of time, you can make a very nice sturdy box. I have lost my pictures for a bit but maybe you can figure what I mean? Craft supply places have a plastic mesh for weaving projects that comes in sheets with several different size holes. Some tiny, some about 1/8 inch. I cut "flaps" and bent them up to make sides. Then I tied monofilament fishing line like a lacing to hold the corners. Sewing thread would work but rot somewhat quicker? I found it sturdy and made several different sizes as I was into breeding and always short on growout tanks. I used scrap electrical wire to hold the boxes across the ends of ten and twenty gallon so that I could get several groups of fry with existing equipment. As the plastic almost floats, it didn't take much to just hold them level and against the filter flow. The larger tank heat and filter did dual service with the boxes getting good water passed through the mesh. Since tiny fry need very little space and have low bio-load, I could get several types, sizes of fish packed into a ten or twenty and still keep them separated.
The mesh was a dollar or so at places like Michael's , Hobby Lobby, etc.

Found the pictures on Photobucket!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Old thread but wondering if you can pass on any advice to me.. I have a pair of sparkling gourami (didn't now they were a pair or old enough to breed until I stumbled upon their first batch of eggs maybe a month ago) that have now had a second batch of eggs.. the first I have in a fry net/box I made with pantyhose.. in the parents 2.6g nano. How did you end up raising yours?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.