The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank only had blue neos and pandas but in the last week the small shrimps have been growing and many (6+) have a bronze/transparent color...not blue at all. Others have a blue hue or sky blue. My friend tells me I need to separate them ASAP but I don't have another tank to set them in. Should I separate them in a breeding box inside the tank?

Automotive tire Tire Tread Bumper Wood

Ingredient Cuisine Wood Dish Superfood

Liquid Fluid Organism Recipe Gas

Wood Art Electric blue Automotive tire Rope

The contrast are these beautiful blue neos.

Vertebrate Insect Wood Arthropod Electric blue

Wood Natural material Wood stain Feather Hardwood

That last one has her saddle! Hoping one of the boys will do his job!

·
Registered
374 Posts
My friend tells me I need to separate them ASAP but I don't have another tank to set them in.
If your concern is that the bronze shrimp might ruin the gene pool of your blues for breeding, then you only need to separate them before they reach breeding maturity (which from your pics looks like a little way of). So not sure ASAP is really necessary. Also, not sure at what stage of development that these shrimp will take on their final colour, but you don't want to cull juveniles too early. Sure others with more experience will be able to suggest at what stage they should have their final colour and be ready for separating, if needing.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Culling - removing from main colony

Could be selling, feeding to fish, or simply putting into a cull tank.

I do believe that shrimp can escape out of most breeding boxes although I have seen some Z box(?) ones that looked pretty sturdy and unescapable.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I use Ziss boxes and they are pretty amazing for shrimp sorting. Shrimp def can't escape, but you have to worry about small shimplets getting sucked in from the intake vent

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Culling - removing from main colony

Could be selling, feeding to fish, or simply putting into a cull tank.

I do believe that shrimp can escape out of most breeding boxes although I have seen some Z box(?) ones that looked pretty sturdy and unescapable.
Ziss boxes seem too expensive. I can cull them in a normal breeding box once they are young adults maybe. Today I removed one big catappa leaf I had and oh my, so many shrimps hiding below it.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I once used the net breeding boxes.... I had shrimp crawling in and out of it, despite the top of the box being above the water line. Never saw them do it, either!

Some of the HOB breeder boxes are another option... however, requires a slight modification to keep the shrimp *IN* the boxes. It's just a piece of sponge on the out-take!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.