The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a better alternative than money orders for someone who doesnt paypal?

chaz

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
lol. I can't think of anything...wire transfers cost money. Other than personal checks and money orders...there's not many options left.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about a prepaid debit card? kind of like what you might get at wal mart, but useable every where

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Those merchants all use a credit card, which could pose the same inherent threats as PayPal (that's not linked to a bank account). Although the risk of scams and phishing attempts on customers belonging to those sites would be much lower than for PayPal customers.

That, and PayPal's customer service blows goats.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Money orders cost a few bucks also.

Not many options. I've heard of plenty of scams involving Western Union as well.
Paypal sucks, but its kind of a love/hate relationship. I feel like its the only decent option for sending $$ fast and (almost) free, but the customer service is crap and there's a lot of phishing emails and scammers associated with Paypal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Bank Drafts yet? They're FREE and about as official as you can get. Just go to your bank and tell them you'd like a Cashiers Check or Bank Check.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have used Google Checkout to buy and sell plants before. For the rest of the year, it is completely free. I am suprised it hasn't caught on around here, I think it is easier than Paypal.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It's been years since I needed a MO, but I worked at a bank a few years ago and they charged about $4 for a MO and $6 for a Cashier's check. It's not uncommon.

Rex - I know the emails aren't Paypal's fault. I don't think I suggested that.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It's been years since I needed a MO, but I worked at a bank a few years ago and they charged about $4 for a MO and $6 for a Cashier's check. It's not uncommon.
Banks just overcharge for money orders. Mine wants $5 for one.....or I can walk the extra 50 feet and get one for $0.79 (Western Union MO as well). Both get the job done but for 1/5 the price.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I worked at a bank a few years ago and they charged about $4 for a MO and $6 for a Cashier's check. It's not uncommon.
You folks might consider banking elsewhere if your banks charge you $ for a Cashier's Check. Think about the rates of return they're getting from your hard earned dollars and then look at the $0.42 cents they gave you last year as interest earned :icon_eek:. I've never been charged for a Cashiers Check and would probably take my money elsewhere the day they try to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts