The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a little test with some seltzer water in my nano and i just poured some in and 15- 20 minutes later everything is pearling including my moss :D its only 63 cents per 1 liter bottle could someone work out a formula like you do for excel and etc, ?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I remember this is exactly what Amano did and he discovered the importance of CO2 then. But he used limited quantities because of the little percent of impurity. I don't remember what it was or what percent but I remember that in Nature Aquarium World I.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I tried it once. Hooked it up just like a yeast CO2 bottle. The plants sure enjoyed it. Just gave the bottle a shake every so often.

I'm interested in that article if anyone can find an online source.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm Well i wonder how that happened ... Probably an overdose? My betta doesn't seem to mind but then again he does breathe from the surface of the water so it might not affect him. Well i guess its trial and error unless someone can find an atricle or do a test or something.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Seltzer water just adds CO2 to the tank, so a drop checker would work to check the ppm of CO2 you get from the seltzer water. Except for one critical thing: Unless you are adding the seltzer at a slow and continuous rate, the CO2 level would go up when you add it and quickly back down as the CO2 dissipates. That isn't desirable. I don't think seltzer is an economical source of CO2, but if it is, you could work out a way to slowly add it to the tank, and use an overflow to keep the tank water level from rising as you did that.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You can't add a lot of carbonated water at once to the tank, or it will kill fish. You would have to add it in small doses. In that sense, it would be best to use a dosing pump, otherwise, you would be adding a small amount of carbonated water to the tank every 5 to 10 minutes. But the problem is, once the container of carbonated water is opened and no longer at pressure, it goes flat in 1-2 hours. So you'd have to replace the carbonated water every 1-2 hours, unless you can figure a way to keep the carbonated water at pressure while it is being dosed. But to do that, you'd end up with a complex, expensive and customized type of system, and it would run out LONG before a standard CO2 tank would run out.

Therefore, it doesn't make practical or economic sense to use carbonated water as a CO2 source.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Not all carbonated waters are the same. One of the reasons this isn't a good idea is because a lot of bottle waters have sodium added (salt). Also the CO2 you add from sources like this isn't going to remain in the water column long, its simply going to be consumed by the plants or offgas.

If cheap CO2 is the goal, it would be far more effective using a DIY yeast setup.

·
Registered
705 Posts
In amanos books he says that there is 1% sodium so he stayed fathful to water changes and without the discovery of this he probabily would have never stayed in the hobby/ industry ! pretty cool story if you ask me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts