The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Club soda or carbonated water contains the macronutrients carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, phosphorous, potassium sulfur, and sodium that are essential for healthy plant growth. The absorption of these nutrients encourages more rapid growth in the plant.
No point. Just use CO2 and ferts.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
I would not pour regular pop into the water; as mentioned, there really is no point (would be expensive, not to mention that there are lots of other undesirables inside).

You could try using seltzer water (carbonated water), but again, this is also quite expensive. Furthermore, it is difficult to control. Amano tried playing with carbonated water for some time, but eventually switched to (pressurized) CO2.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Ignorant. Not everyone have the money to buy these items. Some places don't care one or the other.

And theres still the point of it being better than reg water, how would it stimulate dsm?
Are you saying using seltzer water is expensive, or CO2 and ferts? I think using seltzer water would end up costing an arm and a leg, whereas DIY CO2 and dry ferts are pretty cheap.

Using seltzer water would give you zero ability to adjust nutrient levels to address deficiencies.

Most of the club sodas I've seen are also pretty high in sodium.

If the point is that using seltzer water is better than nothing, well... that's a different point LOL

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
No point. Just use CO2 and ferts.
Exactly right.

Seltzer is carbonated water. Just use a CO2 rig and it will seltzerize your water instead of paying for the weight of a water bottle.

In an emersed setup you just need to pipe in CO2 gas and keep it fairly closed up, this will raise the CO2 concentration and accelerate plant growth. Between 1000 and 3000 ppm CO2 is best for plant growth in emersed conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.