The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see if anyone on here has experience selling Textbooks for school that they have had. Either after a course is completed or new ones they received but realized they'll never use.

This summer I got half a dozen textbooks for free and just realized I still have them sitting in my closet, the retail value of the books is a few hundred dollars but I have no idea how I would sell them.

Some of the books are:
Blitzer Precalculus 4e (with disks)
A simple russian course (Pearson, books one and two)
AP Physics SAT prep book (Baaron's)
Student Workbook: Physics a Modern Approach (Pearson)

I figure if I can sell them I'll buy a amazon kindle.

Thanks,
-Andrew

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Ebay?

Or you could sell them to a school district.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
University bookstores often buy back used books.

ebay or amazon too and there are plenty of online college text book stores to sell and buy.

I've always had issues with university books. $100+ for a text book is such a rip off. That's a big old racket. I always buy them off amazon to save money.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just sold two textbooks on amazon this week. I priced them below the competition and they were sold within 6 hours. Next morning, I mailed them in padded envelopes, and voila, done. Make sure you ask for "media rate" when you mail them.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ebay?

Or you could sell them to a school district.
I don't have an ebay accout :eek: but it did cross my mind.

eBay... People are always looking to avoid paying full price for textbooks.
Another Vote for Ebay it seems.

University bookstores often buy back used books.

ebay or amazon too and there are plenty of online college text book stores to sell and buy.

I've always had issues with university books. $100+ for a text book is such a rip off. That's a big old racket. I always buy them off amazon to save money.
I looked into selling them back to bookstores, but I don't want to sell them at their prices which are super super cheap.

I might try Amazon.com...

you can also try craigslist
or facebook market place
I just sold two textbooks on amazon this week. I priced them below the competition and they were sold within 6 hours. Next morning, I mailed them in padded envelopes, and voila, done. Make sure you ask for "media rate" when you mail them.
Its probably simple, but could you explain how you sold them through amazon.com? Like, I've bought textbooks through their sellers but I thought you had to pay to sell through amazon.com?

Thanks for the responses! Maybe I will buy that kindle... In the mean time, I'm reading The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris.

-Andrew

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
what sucks is that most teachers are using newer versions of boooks that i have, and no one wants older ones.

I have plenty myself from school. at least 15 books. the school wants to give me like 5 bucks for each and i think thats a slap in the face when they sell it for 50 bucks.
Yup, I feel that...

On the plus side, 9x out of 10 there's not much difference at all between the latest and newest editions. I'd go that route sometimes, and then just double-check against one of my classmates who had the new book. (lots of times there's just some different graphs, maybe an extra chapter that you can get from someone else...)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a picture of the physics book? I was actually about to buy one tonight...
I'll send you a picture later tonight if you're still looking for one. It is the workbook for the physics book by pearson with the gold spring on it (there might be a marble on top of the spring?) I think it has like 3 authors

Thanks for the information guys, these books in my case are brand new straight from the manufacturer since I attended a the college board's APAC over the summer and got them directly from Pearson at he end of the conference...

-Andrew

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
IME selling textbooks back to the campus bookstore usually gets you close to nothing. Mine gives like 10% of the retail price.

Amazon or Ebay are both pretty good, but my college website has an area where you can post textbooks for sale or books you need for the upcoming semester. Kinda like the Swap n Shop here, but with books. You can usually get a pretty good price for the books as long as they're cheaper than the campus bookstore.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
it is a racket more so when they release a new book every year or two and the only thing that changed was they moved the chapters around. then your $100+ book is even harder to sell.

doesnt help for selling but i rent books now. http://www.chegg.com/

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're still taking classes in those subjects and might have to write papers on them in the future, it's often a good idea to hold onto them for reference books... but that's probably only good for your major, for the most part.
They're mainly HS textbooks. I thought about keeping them for reference but I figured that all the math stuff from the precalc book can be searched for online, the russian ones won't be used (rosetta stone anyone? if I was to learn russian) Etc, etc, etc... On the other hand I got a Java programming book that I might start looking over here and there.

it is a racket more so when they release a new book every year or two and the only thing that changed was they moved the chapters around. then your $100+ book is even harder to sell.

doesnt help for selling but i rent books now. http://www.chegg.com/
Maybe I'm just a bookworm but there is something nice about having fresh books. At the same time I looked into that chegg.com service for college (a year from now) and I realized they're basically charging full price for the book... I would rather buy the book and have the possibility to sell it off later. Also, more books are being put on the kindle each and every year and most of the major textbook companies have partnered up with amazon to offer their books for it. So book prices should come down, I hope.

-Andrew

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
oh, HS books aren't worth anything. You're lucky if you sell them. No demand for them. You might get a few dollars at used bookstores.

When I went to HS, we had to return our books at the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts