The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 gallon, 28 gallon, 10 gallon, 10 gallon
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a project I'd like to do, where I grow all of the food i'd need for my fish ( Golden Dojo Loach, Peppered and Albino Corys, Albino BN Pleco, Pea Puffers, Black Neon Tetras, Neon Tetras)
that aren't super hard to raise. Like Brine shrimp, easy to raise, but doesn't have a good enough breeding rate let alone living to adulthood, to be sustainable. My ideas so far:
Daphnia
Pest Snails
Grindal Worms
Black Worms
Algae-have a container just for algae, grow it for green water, feed to daphnia or put water in a
shallow pan and let evaporate hopefully leaving an algae powder. Algae on walls, empty water and scrape off with something. Far fetched, but I think Maybe it'd work
Veggies
Vinegar Eels
Infusoria treated like Algae

have you people got any suggestions? I've got plenty of time and don't mind cleaning. I've got some space too. Would that list cover the nutrients the fish need? I'm thinking about feeding shrimp too, but I need more info.
Thanks!
Have a good day
:)

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Hi! I have a project I'd like to do, where I grow all of the food i'd need for my fish ( Golden Dojo Loach, Peppered and Albino Corys, Albino BN Pleco, Pea Puffers, Black Neon Tetras, Neon Tetras)
that aren't super hard to raise. Like Brine shrimp, easy to raise, but doesn't have a good enough breeding rate let alone living to adulthood, to be sustainable. My ideas so far:
Daphnia
Pest Snails
Grindal Worms
Black Worms
Algae-have a container just for algae, grow it for green water, feed to daphnia or put water in a
shallow pan and let evaporate hopefully leaving an algae powder. Algae on walls, empty water and scrape off with something. Far fetched, but I think Maybe it'd work
Veggies
Vinegar Eels
Infusoria treated like Algae

have you people got any suggestions? I've got plenty of time and don't mind cleaning. I've got some space too. Would that list cover the nutrients the fish need? I'm thinking about feeding shrimp too, but I need more info.
Thanks!
Have a good day
:)
What fish are we talking about as that will change the type of food.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Golden Dojo Loaches, Neon Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Albino Bristlenose Pleco, Peppered Corys, Albino Corys, and Pea Puffers
You can add white worms to your list. Possibly also earth worms. I think the pea puffers at least would eat earth worms if cut into pieces. Its very possible to feed only live food but it also becomes a bit of a chore in that you basically have a LOT of extra maintenance in care and feeding your new pets which themselves are just feeders. I culture fruit flies for my dart frogs and I'm starting an earth worm ranch for my newts (currently just digging them up in my yard as needed for the newts). And even though fruit flies are pretty easy to culture, its still somewhat troublesome to deal with when I realize I accidentally skipped a week before starting a new culture and now I need to stretch some half dead cultures to cover the gap. I'd recommend figuring out the easiest things to culture and just repeating those over and over again. Black Worms can be cultured but if you have a LFS that sells them, it might be a lot easier to just buy a pound when needed and feed it till its near gone and then buy another pound, that way you don't need to worry about splitting the culture up etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a lot of free time as I'm homeschooled and Covid, and I don't mind the extra work with the animals. I am thinking also about setting up a colony of blackworms in my tank substrate, to give the puffers and bottom feeders a little excitement and aerate and clean the substrate a bit. These aren't show tanks, just habitats.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think you've got a good idea going on. Unless you plan to breed the fish, vinegar eels and infusoria won't really be suitable for any of the fish.

I would personally look into acquiring a copepod culture as well. And hatching out BBS.

For the algae tank, you might be better off setting stones and wood into the tank to accumulate a biofilm onto it, although you'll need a fair amount of stones/wood to cycle into and out of the tank as needed. Bonus points if the water change water you use for the algae tanks comes from your main tank.

I know you're super gungho about feeding only live foods, but do consider doing a feeding of some sort of prepared food on a regular basis just so you know you're covering all of the nutritional corners.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good point, thank you. I am not planning on breeding the fishies. Thanks for the Advice! I will research more about the nutritional corners. You have a good point about feeding the prepared food. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
I agree with minorhero, I used to have a whiteworm culture and it crashed pretty quickly due to laziness :(

I would like to get another live culture to supplement my fishes diets but I would get something that's like put it in a jar and feed once a month. Any suggestions???

I would pick one culture and see how it goes and then if that's not too much work buy another one. That way you save money.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with minorhero, I used to have a whiteworm culture and it crashed pretty quickly due to laziness :(

I would like to get another live culture to supplement my fishes diets but I would get something that's like put it in a jar and feed once a month. Any suggestions???

I would pick one culture and see how it goes and then if that's not too much work buy another one. That way you save money.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
all the low maintenece ones I know of have to be fed lots.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about daphnia wouldn't that be ok in a jar by a window fed once a month???

Let us know what cultures you get and they do.
I think if you could keep the jar in there with enough algae floating around, you might be able to get away with it, but they eat green water pretty quickly. I've got some old goldfish flakes lying around I am gonna feed to mine once they eat all the algae.
Also. Would a pleco eat frozen daphnia? since their guts have so much algae in them, but would the protein of the daphnia be to much?
I'll keep ya updated.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I have an old sink I let fill with rainwater in summer and collect mosquito larvae from it for my fishes. As long as you collect the wigglers once every three days, none hatch out as mature mosquitoes. There's no other maintenance aside from rinsing the larvae, refilling if it doesn't rain in weeks and the water gets low, and occasionally removing leaf debris sometimes. I had less wigglers last summer than the one before, so maybe I'm finally knocking down the local mosquito population some, haha! (Last summer I was thinking of trying to freeze some for use as food in winter months, but didn't have enough excess).

I've never done any other live cultures, but lately have read about peanut beetle larvae. Sounds really easy to raise and nutritious for the fishes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an old sink I let fill with rainwater in summer and collect mosquito larvae from it for my fishes. As long as you collect the wigglers once every three days, none hatch out as mature mosquitoes. There's no other maintenance aside from rinsing the larvae, refilling if it doesn't rain in weeks and the water gets low, and occasionally removing leaf debris sometimes. I had less wigglers last summer than the one before, so maybe I'm finally knocking down the local mosquito population some, haha! (Last summer I was thinking of trying to freeze some for use as food in winter months, but didn't have enough excess).

I've never done any other live cultures, but lately have read about peanut beetle larvae. Sounds really easy to raise and nutritious for the fishes.
Huh, never heard of them. Thanks for your ideas. My folks would eat me before I had a chance to grow mosquito larvae, lol. I have thought about it though. All the ones on my list are easy to breed, so they maintain themselves, rather than having to go to the store to buy eggs every little while.
My lfs don’t carry live foods, anyone got any suggestions as to where to buy some?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Aquabid works, as does a certain auction site beginning with e and ending with bay (weird filters I know). You should be able to find quality daphnia, snails, and grindals for sale there. Blackworms are trickier to come by. I've heard that due to literally everything happening there's been a shortage of blackworms.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aquabid works, as does a certain auction site beginning with e and ending with bay (weird filters I know). You should be able to find quality daphnia, snails, and grindals for sale there. Blackworms are trickier to come by. I've heard that due to literally everything happening there's been a shortage of blackworms.
”literally everything” love that 😅
thanks! was trying to find them and was puzzled. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.