The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to set up a 20 L tank for CRS breeding and was wondering if you guys have dividers setup to separate different shrimp grades within the same tank, or if you have multiple tanks set up. Id like to keep the number of tanks i have to a minimum, so would like to keep one tank with dividers, but was wasn't sure how i would do that to keep water quality even throughout.

So comments or experience is appreciated

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have tanks divided. I made a frame out of glass that was 1" all around and in the middle I put screen, screen from like a screen door. I silicone the glass together and stuck the screen in the middle. I also took a canister filter and gave it 2 intakes and 2 out takes so the water from both sides gets mixed. Both sides also have sponge filters.
Now the baby shrimp can go back and fourth through the screen but that doesn't worry me because they are to young to breed. Once they get to a size where I can grade them I move them to the right side or tank.
here is a pic of one of the divided tanks.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Wow that's a nice setup!! I was thinking about doing the same thing, but never got around to it. I friend had a simular setup, but he cut acrylic and just made a little mesh at the top for water flow. I only have about 18 adults, but the 20 babies I have are getting huge fast! I have some that are not too good looking (blotchy reds, and dull whites) but I have others that have bright red and a little red dot instead of the strip. Apparently those are worth more so I may try and keep those on 1 side of the tank as they get older. Boink where in LA are you? If you ever get your tank setup let me know I would love to check it out!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Or if you don't want to bother with cutting glass/acrylic down to size, you can grab some black (just cause it looks more classy/professional IMO) report holder, silicone glue it into place, and slide the mesh in (not necessarily in this order).

I do (well, did) this often for my bettas, because as you know, the males do tend to fight and er, sometimes kill each other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have tanks divided. I made a frame out of glass that was 1" all around and in the middle I put screen, screen from like a screen door. I silicone the glass together and stuck the screen in the middle. I also took a canister filter and gave it 2 intakes and 2 out takes so the water from both sides gets mixed. Both sides also have sponge filters.
Now the baby shrimp can go back and fourth through the screen but that doesn't worry me because they are to young to breed. Once they get to a size where I can grade them I move them to the right side or tank.
here is a pic of one of the divided tanks.
Sun.......I'm interested in how you plumbed the dual intakes and outlets.
Can you elaborate?
Maybe a illustration?.........heh.........am I pushing my luck? :icon_smil

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sun.......I'm interested in how you plumbed the dual intakes and outlets.
Can you elaborate?
Maybe a illustration?.........heh.........am I pushing my luck? :icon_smil
All I did was use 5/8" Tee connectors. 1 for the intake and 1 for the outlet
. You can get them at Lowe's or home depot for around 40 cents. on one side I hooked the filter and on the other 2 sides of the connector I made into outlets or intakes. The middle of the tee was the filter hook up and the sides became the outlets or inlets. This gave me a even intake and outlet of water on both sides. Does that help explain it? If not let me know. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.