The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good tankmates that will get rid of my small pond snails but leave my large Nerites alone (and is shrimp friendly)?

Going into my heavily planted 75 Gallon tank.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,177 Posts
Pond Snail populations get out of control when you overfeed, typically. Bladder Snails are similar. You sure you're not feeding too much?

Fish and critters that eat pond snails will also eat shrimp. Assassin Snails may be helpful but they've been known to take down larger snails and the occasional (rare) shrimp.

What specific issue is driving you to remove snails from your tank? Is it their population, the fact that you fear harm to your tank, their appearance?

They're beneficial for your tank when it comes to cleaning up and eating algae and won't eat plants that aren't already dying.

If you're set on removing them, the best bet is to place a piece of food in the front of the tank and remove them manually as they take to the food.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to control the population. I don't think its an overfeeding issue. It looks like there were a lot of eggs on some plants I just introduced. Suddenly lots of tiny snails in the tank (without any that could have been the "parents"). If the population will naturally regulate with proper feeding I should be fine - was just afraid of what would happen when all these 1st generation baby snails grow up!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have found that my fingers are the best selective snail killer around. My trap of choice is a piece of cucumber weighted down to sit on the bottom. Turn the lights off and check back in an hour or so, scrape off the offending snails, and repeat the process. Cleared out hundreds of MTS from my tank this way.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
you may not be the best tank mate, but you are the best selective snail killer. manual removal is best. it would have been even more effective if you removed all that you saw when they first appeared.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Manual removal is the best way to approach this problem. If you don't have the strength to get rid of them manually, you can put them in a container. For example, I have a peace lily growing in a water container on a counter with plenty of happy snails. So might be something you could try as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.