The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there several varieties of Ottos, some being much better than others? If their are different varieties do they all basically do the same job? Many LFS of course have no clue what they have and I don't want to make a bad choice if I can help it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have seen two or three species .there may be more but i don't often see them in fish stores in my neck of the wood's.
Most of them I believe are still wild caught, and all of them love algae.
some take readily to vegetable supplement's and algae based food's and other's show little interest in anything but algae.
A good thing to look for, are fat bellies.I f the fish have sunken bellies they often don't do well in my expierience.
Am often puzzled by those who place these fish in algae free tank's and the fish slowly starve due to lack of primary food.It seem's they are puchased as insurance against that which they thrive on.
Have also heard of those who place a few stones in bowl and place bowl in sunny location to encourage algae to grow on the stones,and then place them in the tank for the oto's to graze on.Seem's very kind in my view.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read several times about making sure you get fish that are full in the belly area. I wonder if sheet algae like SW fish eat would be good for them? That is of course a speciality item for SW fish that a FW fish would never eat but I doubt if they eat many peas or other veggies either. :)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have read several times about making sure you get fish that are full in the belly area. I wonder if sheet algae like SW fish eat would be good for them? That is of course a speciality item for SW fish that a FW fish would never eat but I doubt if they eat many peas or other veggies either. :)
I have had them nibble at the sheet algae, or dried marine algae.
Here in U.S. 'sally's seaweed salad" is what I offer live bearer's,shrimp's,pleco's, multispinosa.
The green variety worked the best.no taker's on the red colored.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Where were you planning to buy these ottos?

At a local fish place or order a half dozen Otocinclus online?

If you pick them out in person, do what you can to select the HEALTHIER looking ones. Wait a couple days after the fish store gets their shipment before you stop by to cherry pick.

When you bring your ottos home, offer them a plentiful assortment of food in case they didn't have enough to eat during the catching/transport and the time they spent in the store. If the ottos survive the first 2 weeks, you have a good chance of keeping them around for a while.

Figure out what they like to eat first during those 2 weeks.

I don't bother with the stones on the window ledge because I always have some ornament/decoration/driftwood in another tank that's covered in excess algae.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, I think the brown algae is one of their snack foods.

Just make sure the water quality is low in ammonia. That's what usually knocks them dead when they're thin, unhealthy & stressed out.

Offer them paper thin slices of zucchini & summer squash in addition to the diatom in case you bring back a bunch of picky eaters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.