The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have some seiryu stone in my shrimp tank that seems to consistently increase my kH. Before I remove everything, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi everyone, I have some seiryu stone in my shrimp tank that seems to consistently increase my kH. Before I remove everything, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this
Seiryu Stone, a metamorphic rock, is a bit troublesome because it has a strong effect on the pH of aquariums. ... Taken together you'll see an increase in pH and water hardness using this rock.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
That’s very unfortunate because it looks so good. Thanks!
What i always say, choose the biotope u want to mimic anthem you can think on what u want and can add in there.
Thats exactly what i did with my apistos, i choose the south american biotope, than i started choosing the substrate which would mimic the enviroment parameters, then the plants and the rock, the wood and finally the fish and its mates

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I've bought Seiryu stones from 2-3 sources now and wound up pulling them out of each setup I tried them in. Texas holy rock didn't raise KH more, I don't understand their popularity in soft water aquascapes at all. I see all these tanks using active substrates and with them in photos and just shake my head. I've heard people claim some out there are mostly inert, but I'm not willing to try again.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just curious what is the pH of your tank?

I have started a new tank with Seiryu and saw my KH go from 4dKH to 7dKH in 4 days, although it may have stabilized as I surprisingly did not measure an increase yesterday. I am injecting CO2 which has been driving me from a pH of 7.5ish to 6.6 at full CO2. I think Seiryu dissolves in a weak acid (it's why we wash it in vinegar as that dissolves an outer layer of minerals). So one hypothesis I have is that if I buff my pH up a little bit so that at full CO2 I'm at 6.9 or 7.0, the effect will be less pronounced. I guess I could test just by dropping one in a bucket of 7.0 water for a couple days and see if KH increases.

I'm going to learn how to live with it. I'm not using an active substrate. I thought an active substrate would reduce KH and maybe counteract the Seiryu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.