·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't run the two 150 watt HQI MH at the same time as the T5s. And I would probably put a Planta or two in the T5 mix. So it would be 6-7 or so hours of MH midday and T5 before and after - for an hour or so each for dawn to dusk. This is definately not an economical light to purchase, however.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Gah! Spendy! I'd have to win the lottery to be able to afford that! Wish I could though . . .

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not when you consider replacing the reef-centric bulbs.
Are you talking about the MH 10000Ks or the T5 actinics? The actinics have to be repalced for sure, but I think the MH 10000Ks would be allright. I like the fact it has the 12 moonlights and is programable. Definately a lottery friendly fixture.:eek:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
One of my favorite aspects of the halide pendant is the fact that they are "open", and do not require a fan. This all-in-one light needs a fan because that blazing bulb appears enclosed. Given the choice between this, or a solo halide pendant, I'd take the pendant (regardless of the price tag). It's a whale of a light for a reef, but from every angle, it looks like a bad case of overkill for a planted tank.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I respectfully disagree. It is overkill in total. But all components are there for each proportion of the day. Morning / Late afternoon T5, Mid MH, and Nighttime moonlight viewing. The size is not that large at 15"x 4 x length chosen. I do agree a noisy fan is one drawback, for sure.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
you could keep lps,sps,crocea's,gigas' or whatever under that light!
haha I can throw around reef terms too!!!! ;P

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed Current USA and asked if each bank of T5s could be turned on individually as that is best for FW aps. Very quick response from Current-USA. They all turn on at the same time, but they said it was a good idea and would pass it on to R&D. I imagine I could wire in a second switch/cord fairly easily, but I wouldn't want to have to at this price.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
$999 for the 48" fixture? wow...
If you don't want (or can't) shell out the $$ for MH, I would like to suggest Tek lighting (T-5 HO). I just got em for my 90g (48") and it ended up being around $450 total, including fixture(6x54w), lights and mounting hardware. You may consider that at 1/2 the price and rivalling MH's. No led's though. I've read plenty of DIY ideas using computer LEDs for dirt cheap though....just an idea.
-Ryan

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah its spendy. But the unit with 150 watt HQIs is $830. Of course that doesn't include ditching four actinics which will bring it back to near $890. But I bet one could trade the actinics straight with a good online retailer you buy it from for no extra, with a little nice haggling.. And it is MH, T5 and LEDs. I think its a great light, IF, the two banks of T5s could be independently controled. And its darn near impossible to incorporate LEDs in a Tek, without little wires running around. I know, as I tried to take one apart once, and punted after an hour.

·
Registered
46 Posts
funny my lfs is selling me the same fixture for 699.00 canadian brand new i think they want to get rid of it too bad i have no money right now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts