The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure of their scientific name, read a description of them and saw photos of them, and I'm very interested. Is this the only dwarf species that's orange? And do you have any for sale?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
It really does not pay to buy them, since even if you could find them, they would not stay bright orange unless you had specific tank conditions, gender, diet, a specific point in their age and molting cycles. normally they look like this:

The same is true of many Blue species of crayfish that spend a lot of their life not looking very blue at all. therefore it's best to invest in crayfish for their size, structure and behavior, not for their somewhat unreliable coloration.

most people who invest in such rare and expensive animals are hoping to breed them successfully in captivity, thus saving the predation by man of their natural habitat; they are not looking for a display piece.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It really does not pay to buy them, since even if you could find them, they would not stay bright orange unless you had specific tank conditions, gender, diet, a specific point in their age and molting cycles. normally they look like this:

The same is true of many Blue species of crayfish that spend a lot of their life not looking very blue at all. therefore it's best to invest in crayfish for their size and behavior, not for their somewhat unreliable coloration.

most people who invest in such rare and expensive crayfish are hoping to breed them successfully in captivity, thus saving the predation by man of their natural habitat; they are not looking for a display piece.

THis is incorrect. The orange dwarf crayfish is a stable orange color. Their name is Cambarellus patzcuarensis var. orange. It does pay to have them and breed them.

The offsprings of two of these orange crays are orange as same as the parents. They do not need special conditions, food, etc to maintain their color. I have around 8 adult pairs of the orange cray. I keep them in tap water and feed them the same food as my shrimp.

Apart from having the orange color morph, you have the wild coloration which is the one shown in the pciture above. There is another variant that is orange-brown.

Pictures are here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/35968-cambarellus-patzcuarensis-dwarf-cray-pictures.html

(search for some of my threads in the shrimp forum for more pictures and information)

The information above about the blue dwarf crays is correct. in this one the color is not stable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pedro's info conforms with what I've read. So how do they usually run? How can you have sticker shock without a price?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You might try raising mike at freshwaterinverts.com but his web site has been inoperable for months now. Says he is in the process of moving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts