The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this tank up for about a month or so. pH seems really high and so does KH. See attached parameters from my last water test. Fish seem to be doing well and other than a sword plant, plants seem to be doing well. Should I chase the ideal parameters or leave things be? Can anyone identify the black algae shown in the pictures? I just started dosing excel to try killing it. I also dose flourish, iron, potassium, and stress coat. I have two 24/7 planted plus lights and do have co2 injection. Any general suggestions for me? Thanks!

Product Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot
Water Plant Pet supply Fish supply Aquatic plant
Wood Bedrock Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Plant Ingredient Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Also Ammonia says .25 but I find it hard to believe tank isn't cycled yet. I'd like to assume it's 0. The pH could have been 8.0 it was a tough judgement call comparing to the results chart

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'd worry about the ammonia. Are you dosing N and P? You can leave out the stress coat from your routine - not necessary. Cut off the affected leaves on the sword plant to help get that algae under control. It's black brush (BBA) I think.

As to the kH, pH, just leave them alone. I would check the tap water to be sure it matches - perhaps a rock is carbonate-based and causing both to go up over time.

I'd also suggest more plants - especially stems.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Figure out the cause of the present ammonia level.

Test you tap water if that is what you fill your tank with.
If the pH, KH and GH are higher in your tank compared to your tap water, then something in the tank is raising the levels (first thing I would test is the rocks).

To test the rocks, have a container of tap water with known/tested water parameters, then add stones and test in a bit to see if they alter parameters.
Or do the acid reaction test to see if acid (white vinegar or muriatic acid *use caution when handling*) causes the stones to react by fizzing (do test out of water).

What substrate are you using?

I see swordtails, rainbows, neon tetras, angelfish and maybe a yoyo loach.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have EcoComplete and a little flourite black sand. Fish include red tail shark, 2 Yo Yo loaches, Bosemani rainbow, three dwarf neon rainbows, pineapple sword, turquoise rainbow, dwarf guarami, royal guarami, neon tetras, 2 Cory cats, bushynose pleco, clown pleco, koi angel, couple platys/mollys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.