The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sponge filter for my ten gallon. I have two other filters currently running in the tank as well. My question is how to safely remove the two filters and only keep the sponge filter in the tank. I seeded both of the filters I am going to remove from my 40GB when I did a canister cleaning. Should I also directly seed the sponge filter with the 40GB canister cleaning and then remove the two filters I don’t want anymore? I guess I am needing a time frame to do everything in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Slowly. I'd remove just one filter at a time with at least a week between removing each. And I wouldn't remove the first of the two filters until the sponge filter has been running for at least two weeks.

It would be hard to seed a sponge filter with canister media since a sponge is just a sponge--unless you're talking about a box filter that you can put media into (which I highly recommend over sponge filters).

·
Registered
250 Posts
What about putting the sponge inside the cannister for 3 or 4 days? Mashed right up next to the filter material inside, there's gotta be some beneficial bacteria that transfers over, right?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about putting the sponge inside the cannister for 3 or 4 days? Mashed right up next to the filter material inside, there's gotta be some beneficial bacteria that transfers over, right?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
This would work. I'd do it for at least a week though. Even then you couldn't just remove the other two filters immediately. You'd remove one and then let the bacteria ramp up to adequate levels in the sponge with it handling more bioload. Then after 7-10 days remove the next filter and monitor your water parameters for a couple days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.