The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about seeding a new tank with the bacteria. I am moving from a 10 gal, to a 36 gal. normally this would not prove to be a problem, I know that adding old filter material will speed up the cycle as long as you have something for the bacteria to snack on. What should I do when I have two different types of filters? My 10 gal has a Wisper 20 HOB, and the new tank a Fluval 205 canister. What is the best way to seed this tank, and should I move some fish over right away? or should I simply just add some fish food for a couple weeks until it seems stable? the stock that will eventually be moved to the new tank consists of 7 Danios, 6 Glowlight Tetras, 9 Cherry shrimp, and 6 Amano shrimp. I know the Danios can handle a cycle, but I love the little guys, and do not want to put them through that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello there. I use Colonize from Dr. FosterandSmith but you could also use something similar from your LFS. I let it break in my new aquarium and test for Ammonia and Nitrite levels after a week. Once they're down to 0 PPM, I start adding fish slowly. Perhaps 3 at a time for every 2 days should be safe. This will allow the bacteria to catch up to the extra bioload.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...: Colonize&ref=3665&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x007

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cut the old filter pad up and stick it in the new filter
I just did something similar. The 10 gal HOB filter has a plastic "Bio scrubber" which is supposed to host the bacteria, it is also in line with an "activated carbon pad" which I have not changed in such a long time. I assume it is colonized at this point with bacteria, given that the Carbon is no longer "good" I put this pad in the top basket of my Fluval. this was a good thing too, one of my Amano shrimp somehow found a way around the outflow of the HOB filter and was munching away at the stuff in there lol. :eek5:

How long should I wait before doing the transfer of the fish, and shrimp. I want to do it safely, so I am willing to wait if need be. I am also going to transfer the plants, but pulling any of them now will cause a huge ammonia spike in the 10 gal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I add some extra rings in my canister a few weeks before starting the new tank. When I am ready I just grab them and add to the new filter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why not just put the Whisper 20 HOB onto the new tank and leave it there for a couple months. If you are not changing the stocking level, you should only see a very tiny cycle because nothing is really changing. That is what I have always done anyway.

I am currently seeding a new Eheim canister by running it on my Cichlid tank. It has been there for about 2 months now so it should be nice and loaded with some good bacteria once I start my next tank.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just put the Whisper 20 HOB onto the new tank and leave it there for a couple months. If you are not changing the stocking level, you should only see a very tiny cycle because nothing is really changing. That is what I have always done anyway.

I am currently seeding a new Eheim canister by running it on my Cichlid tank. It has been there for about 2 months now so it should be nice and loaded with some good bacteria once I start my next tank.
Hmm. The only reservations I have is the effects of a tiny cycle on the shrimp I have. other than that it makes sense.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Nobody mentioned plants? If this is a planted tank, starting it out heavily planted, as you should for other reasons, will eliminate any need for a cycle. The plants will be colonized with bacteria to start with, and they will be consuming any ammonia that shows up anyway. I wait a week or two at the most before beginning to add fish when I do this. It works very well.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hanks hoppy, it is medium planted so far with mid and low light plants, the rest of my plants are in the 10 gal awaiting to be transfered, but I wanted to wait to transfer them
until all the fish and shrimp are transfered

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Plants first, fish next. And, fish should be introduced a few at a time. That's my opinion anyway. I can't see a single reason for plants to wait until fish are introduced.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plants first, fish next. And, fish should be introduced a few at a time. That's my opinion anyway. I can't see a single reason for plants to wait until fish are introduced.
If I remove the plants in the existing tank, I risk a big ammonia spike. The new tank is planted already (about 40%-50% of the substrate surface) My plan was when the new tank was cycled, to move the fish, pull the plants out of the older tank and place them in the new tank with the new plants. Or should I start pulling plants now, and do some large water changes after removal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts