The Planted Tank Forum banner

Seed shrimp?

1166 5
It's really hard to take a picture of this guy running around, as hes really fast. I found him crawling around on my substrate right in front of the tank. He takes off swimming pretty often too. I'm thinking seed shrimp? He must've hitchhiked in on some plants. What do you guys think? Harmless?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Looks like a scud to me. Some folks say harmless but my experience has been different. I had them in 10 gal. shrimp tank. They multiplied to the point that all I saw swimming in the tank were scuds. They became very aggressive and I saw them attacking and eating shrimp. They also destroyed my Christmas moss. Put some rasboras in there and they helped reduce the population but also feasted on baby shrimp. So I ended up breaking down the tank and starting over. Now scudless and happy. They originally came in on plants from one of the LFS in my area. Bottom line: who needs them? I'd do away with the little pest.

Attachments

· Registered
29 Posts
If there are predatory fish in the tank their numbers should be kept under control because they make tasty treats. I used to net them and drop them in my other tank and they never made it to the substrate. Best to not give them a chance to get established. My $.02

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats for the responses. I ended up adding soda water to the tank and flushed the guy out. He met his demise inside a turkey baster. I am hoping it was just the one guy that hitchhiked in, however I am aware that mindset is probably wishful thinking. I will be doing the soda water treatment again in a few days and see if I can flush any more out of hiding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.