The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Baby guppies love these things. I once had an out break and threw in a few baby guppies....all seed shrimp were gone in a weekend. For some reason they never came back even after I took out the guppies.

I started a thread here a while ago with pics of the whole process. Search for it and you'll see how clean my tank looked after the guppies went to town.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
there's a way to tell by behavior. ostracods and water mites can look slightly similar because they are both round and tiny. water mites can swim around in an erratic fashion so if yours do that then they are mites. but sometimes they behave similarly so its hard to tell.

the best way to tell is to look at them under a standard microscope (dissecting scope isnt strong enough). use a depression slide and see what those dots really look like.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3261/2690699871_43790a906c_z.jpg?zz=1
vs
http://robert-hutson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/water_mite_01-1024x819.jpg

water mite's legs are clear so its very hard to see them.
in my experience no fish like to eat water mites.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have access to a microscope I just haven't gotten around to that yet. Haha they do swim around like drunk bees! They seem pretty harmless to me and the cherries don't seem to mind at all. They eat any decaying plant matter and left over food. Great clean up crew! Anytime I do a water change I suck up thousands and it doesn't make a noticeable difference at all.

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
Ya looks like seed shrimp to me also.
my 10g shrimp tank had a lot of them. I added one chili rasbora and then all disappeared.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Baby guppies love these things. I once had an out break and threw in a few baby guppies....all seed shrimp were gone in a weekend. For some reason they never came back even after I took out the guppies.

I started a thread here a while ago with pics of the whole process. Search for it and you'll see how clean my tank looked after the guppies went to town.
I use guppies in all my tanks. Best pest control ive used so far .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.