The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far I've found out seed shrimp feed on detritus and leftovers, but I observe in my tank, plants with damaged leaves, few young leaves are being eated by seed shrimp. it has never happened before. I am pretty sure they are eating the leaves, especially new sprouts. I do not have any snails or fish in my shrimp tank. Any ideas?

·
Registered
349 Posts
How is it that you have Zooplankton in a Shrimp only tank? Or are these the large variety?

Can you post some pics of the Ostracod and plant damage?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
it can be rally hard do make a pic, they're tiny creatures, but they are everywhere, and lately attacked new leave sprouts of dwarf lilly, and onion plant. Yes I do have just shrimp and 1 Otto

·
Registered
349 Posts
They have to go.

How about getting some Endler guppies or Mollies to eat the Ostracods?

Then sell the fish at the club auction.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to rid of it other way, any other fish than Otto is a serious predator to red cherries, even if it wont attack adult they bother and harrass shrimp and definitely will eat baby shrimp, endlers and tetras are very vicious. the only good thing I've found out about seed shrimp, that it proves good water quality

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fish fry won't eat the shrimp babies. They will hunt for your zooplankton.

The Endler fry I got at the meeting have cleaned up my copepod problem and are reducing the Grammarus population, too.

You requested ideas.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Definitely go for an endler, the males are smaller than the tetras and they are much slower. I keep cherry shrimp and male endlers/fry together and I have had no issues. The males may eat a couple babies though so I would transfer them at maturity if you have expensive shrimp. (Just don't add in the females, I doubt they could resist eating your shrimp)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts