The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey can anyone tell me what this is? My shrimp love it, they molt in it graze on it, and just generally hang out in/on it. If I can figure out exactly what it is, I'll go get a few more.Found it on a walk through the woods it was the only one around. Coconut Eye Winter squash Plant Squash

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Bat Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
233 Posts
You found it and stuck it in your tank? Cant say I know what it is but what kind of material? hard or soft?

Hmm I would just guess an orange peel lol. a coconut with all the fuzz gone off it. broken ceramic pot.

woops didnt realize you said seed pod up there.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm doesn't the outer layer usually rot away on a black walnut? This is a wood like substance about 1/16 inch thick and completely hollow. I'm fairly sure it had seeds in it at one point in time, so that's why I'm assuming it's a seed pod. I've searched google high and low trying to figure out what it is no luck lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It actually looks like a puffball fungus to me...I find them in my grandmother's yard every once in awhile. The ones I've seen have a smooth outside, kind of a papery shell...the spores are all inside. If you stomp on them it'll make a cloud lol

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's something from a plant on the the part sitting on the substrate you can see where it was attached to a stem, and the shell is wood like.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hmm doesn't the outer layer usually rot away on a black walnut? This is a wood like substance about 1/16 inch thick and completely hollow. I'm fairly sure it had seeds in it at one point in time, so that's why I'm assuming it's a seed pod. I've searched google high and low trying to figure out what it is no luck lol.
Well, I suppose it "could" rot away, but it certainly looks an awful lot like it. Can you go back to the location where you found them/others? Take note of the terrain, trees, other vegetation, etc. and see if there is some clue there that will help you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ding ding ding we have a winner! Oak gall it is, thank you very much! Just looked up pics of them and that is an exact match.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts