The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I put two amanos in my 125 gallon, they would wildly swim around and explore or eat, now they've anchored themselves to a rock out of sight and haven't moved much. I've done quite a bit of research on these little guys after they stopped moving, some say they are social and need large groups to feel secure. They still have their original color so I don't think they are ill. Twitching pleopods are said to be a sign of certain doom but they aren't twitching per se, more of a back and forth motion while the front legs are cleaning them. Water parameters are good with nitrates only at 5ppm, co2 isn't hurting any other fish and my ph hovers around 7 when the co2 is on. Also no predatory fish in the tank, just cory cats, platy fish, neon and glow light tetras and a couple of crackhead danios. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Amano's are pretty active shrimp. Are they going all over the place grazing/picking at algae? Sounds like are not anymore. From what I've seen, Amano's can still be very active even if kept singly, or just a pair, etc.

Does the internal body tissue look to be turning milky white or are thier organs turning a metallic color? (Possible bacterial infection)

Have they molted at all?
Do you know your GH and KH?
Any chance you've ever used copper in the tank or any other possiby invert toxic meds?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amano's are pretty active shrimp. Are they going all over the place grazing/picking at algae? Sounds like are not anymore. From what I've seen, Amano's can still be very active even if kept singly, or just a pair, etc.

Does the internal body tissue look to be turning milky white or are thier organs turning a metallic color? (Possible bacterial infection)

Have they molted at all?
Do you know your GH and KH?
Any chance you've ever used copper in the tank or any other possiby invert toxic meds?
Looks like I jumped the gun on posting this question, they're back to zipping around the tank after a day of not moving. Couldn't find much info on their behavior really. Thanks for the info everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.