The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think most people plant in soil with growth emerged, not submerged.

Check photos of the plant and see where and how they normally grow.

Most root to rocks and create colonies, taking years and I believe decades to create large clusters of plant.

-Gordon

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
I keep mine tied on driftwood in my tank (100% submersed) under high light (12 T5 HO Giesemann's), plenty of CO2 (2-3 bubbles/sec through needle wheel pump), and ferts (Macros 3x's per week, Micros 3x's per week) along with my other plants and good circulation. I was told that buce's will actually grow faster this way by a few "buce/crypt Masters" on this site, and so far, they've been pretty accurate! Mine throw out a new leaf or flower every other week or so, and have been out-pacing my anubias in terms of growth. Nothing really special about the water parameters; slightly acidic, medium hardness, but very clear.

Buce placement in the tank ranges from about mid-level (8 inches below water line) to bottom on the substrate (17 inches below water line). Root will form and push into the substrate. Somewhat prone to the same issues that you would see on anubias, mostly GSA on older leaves.

Very pretty plants! I recommend them, but I would NOT recommend them for new tanks....best added to established systems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts