The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I originally have a 10g tank and have learned so much from the members on here. I had very little knowledge of everything from CO2 and lighting to plants and algae.

You guys have helped me tremendously and I appreciate every bit of it. I feel like I have learned a lot from the friendly community on here and have nothing but good things to say about you guys.

My first 10g has had a lot of trouble with red algae, GDA, and the plants not growing well. I'm not sure where I went wrong but I'm gonna try again with all my new knowledge with a 29g tank. So if you have any suggestions or advice, or notice something I'm doing wrong please let me know

Flooded: 5/19

Equipment:
Light - Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Substrate - 20/40 Blasting Sand
Diffuser - 50mm GLA Atomic Diffuser
CO2 - Aquatek mini
Filter - Marineland C-Series Multi-Stage Canister Filter, 220gph

Plants:
EI dosing dry ferts.
I will probably try a carpet of dwarf hairgrass. I assume the planted+ 24/7 is enough light to carpet with EI and CO2.
No idea on the other plants yet.

Fish:
I will be transferring over my 5 cory cats, 4 blueberry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp, and my gold inca snail. No idea on what else.

I will be piecing this together over the next 2 months. I will update this with hardscape and other updates as they happen. I hope you guys enjoy!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with the eheim 2217 suggestion. I have 2 on a heavily planted 50 gallon with dirty goldfish, so 1 on a 29 would definitely be enough. I was torn between fluval and eheim and there seemed to be a lot of support on this site for eheim classic, so that's what I went with. I love it so much that I bought two more to replace filters on other tanks (using some of the money I saved not getting a fluval). It's absolutely silent and keeps the tanks crystal clear. I picked up some mesh bags for the media bc the filter doesn't have trays and some people complain about separating media for cleaning. This way that isn't a hassle for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keep updating on your progress, it looks great. Hope you have better luck with the carpet plants and Corys than I did. They loved to burrow around them and I found them floating every day. Was my only tank at the time so not sure if I let the carpets get their roots established if they would have stayed in the substrate

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep updating on your progress, it looks great. Hope you have better luck with the carpet plants and Corys than I did. They loved to burrow around them and I found them floating every day. Was my only tank at the time so not sure if I let the carpets get their roots established if they would have stayed in the substrate
Thanks! They have been stirring up some trouble, but nothing too bad!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.