The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a precaution I'm looking to reseal the 70 gallon tank that I bought. I don't think it needs it... but since its already in the house and I don't feel like mopping up 70 gallons of water from the floors I'd feel a little more secure doing it.

now I've heard of aquarium sealer... but is it flat out called aquarium sealer? Is there a specific brand I should be looking for? A type that you would recommend? How long before it dries, is there anything special I need to do to prep the tank before I seal it?

Can you guys tell that I'm new to this? lol :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Don't take my word as gold, since I am a newbie too - I'm just surprised no one has responded yet.
It is my understanding that GE1 (GEI) is a good silicone to use. I've read any of the silicones that says 100% silicone is ok - be sure it isn't GE2, which has a mildewcide (sp?) in it. You can get the GE1 at Lowes, Walmart, etc. I'm using it in my tanks to attach 3D backgrounds, and I'll be resealing a 55g tank, too. It costs about $5 a tube where I live. You need a caulk gun to apply it. If your tank is small, get aquarium sealer at your local fish store - I hear it's the same thing, just costs more.
There is a specific process to resealing atank - you can't put new silicone over old. Perhaps a forum seach will bring it up - try, and if you can't find the answers you need, post here again. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
{shhhhh}

You didn't hear me say this but....

{carefully looks both ways}

GE1 and Aquarium Sealer you will find in the same section are the exact same things. Just branded differently for more $$

But you didn't hear it from me...Remember that.

:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm not entirely looking forward to the scraping of the tank as its so darn big and awkward lol (edit to add that I'm going to do it anyway lol - just not looking forward to it). How long do you guys recommend I leave the silicone on to dry before adding anything?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.