The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the risks (rotting, toxic growths) involved in using local wood in aquariums, has anybody ever tried to seal the wood with a wood stain or sealant?

Something like Thompsons clear water seal.

How did it work out?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I haven't tried to seal driftwood but those products meant for outdoor use are not meant to be fully submerged in water and will usually peel off. Definitely do not use a wood stain product.

The usual suggestion is to use an epoxy encapsulating product similar to ones used by the major aquariums such as Polygem's Zoopoxy though there are probably other brands out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chatted with the Polygem person today.

Didn't feel confident that this is the way to go.

But thanks for the sugestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the guidance.

My wood is going into the tank this weekend. I'm no seeing tanning.

Now I have more plants than I know what to do with.

I bought about 20 Anubias (various) through Aquabid. They were supposed to come last Friday, but never arrived. So, I bought 6 Anubias petite. You guessed it, the first 20 were delivered by USPS yesterday. I have another piece of wood on the ground outside. May just prepare it for tank work.

I found a great use for a quarantine tank. I keep it running and place plants in there until needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"fully planted before you know it!"

Ya think?

Here's the 20 gallon Q tank.

But wait! Here is the tub. I didn't realize how much Java Moss you get in a pound.

And the "drift" wood the moss and anubias will attach to. The pot is weighing it down in the tub. Most importantly, no tannins. I can always weight it.

Very excited!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I attached Anubia petite plants to driftwood but I think my light was too bright for those plants closest to the light and they began to develop green spot algae on the leaves, so I stopped that. I have put moss on driftwood but the problem there was trimming the moss. Some of the moss trimmings would get in the hair grass and would start to grow and after a while it was impossible to remove all of it from the hg carpet. In both cases whether with Anubias or moss. it did look nice while it lasted. Best of luck with your tank!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Your wood looks kind of "fresh". Was it completely dried out all the way through before you submerged it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, my Anubias are about 8 inches below the waterline plus an extra inch or two above the water to the light. Hope that's not going to be a problem. I'll be watching.

Kubla, I don't think the wood was dry. Anyway, when I started getting slime on the wood I tried to kill it with bleach. Then, submerged it again, and the slime came back. Between that and its buoyancy I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Never got as far as placing it the tank.

Got a nice piece from Manzanita Driftwood, attached a few Anubias and Java Fern and placed it in the tank today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts