The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently, I picked up a few different Seachem Tidal filters. I picked up the 55 first, but it wouldn't work considering how short my tank is. I swapped it out for the 35 model. I gotta say, I am impressed. Anybody a fan of them?

It was purchased to replace one of my Aquaclear 50's that had slowed way down to the point of almost not even being on. I don't know if it's because of needing to be cleaned or because it's ready to die, but regardless, I don't really care. I have been using dual Aquaclear 50's on my tank ever since setting it up and they have really never done a good job in my personal opinion. I have had much better luck with the 70 model, but using dual 70's on a 33 long tank would be excessive and sand would be blown everywhere.

So far, it's a major go. It's quiet and the flow, even for a 35 gallon filter, is really good and easily adjustable. I don't care for the fact that at least with the 35, there is no intake tube. Also, it the electric chord is in the water. Seems they could have designed that part better. I think in the future, I will definitely buy another one to replace my other Aquaclear 50.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My Tidal 55 was rather noizy the first couple of weeks but it settled down and is now very quiet.
The self priming feature is a huge plus over the aquaclears.
The removable filter tray makes routine cleaning a cinch.
I guess I like the built-in 'skimmer' but wish it could be turned off as it can get obstructed with my floating pearlweed.

A downside is the oddly shaped media tray which tends to overflow if I attempt to add finer filter sponges or pads.
I also found the flow adjustment to be useless.
Others have this problem, as the plastic part easily bends out of shape.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
317 Posts
I am a big fan I have the tidal 75. I added more of the seachem refill sponges and more bio balls to the matrix pouch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.